Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help : Ottoman Libyan Trablus Gharb Sultan Selim III Silver Coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Libya
13 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  3:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverOttoman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, took some time away from my hobby to achieve personal goals at work. While I was progressing on work I kept my second Hobby active and that is Metal Detecting.

I stumbled upon many coins, I will soon start posting but what I am really happy about and will definitely post 4 large Ottoman Libyan Coins dating back to 1203 Ah Islamic years which is around 1788 Western.
I do need some Help if anyone can provide any ifo from your knowledge or from certain books on Islamic Ottoman Libya Coins.

Posting first coin starting with year 16 ending with year 19
Some of my friends tell me that they are extremely Rare.

Edited by SilverOttoman
09/13/2018 7:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2124 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going through the Standard Catalog of World Coins, I cannot find these listed under Libya. The toughra certainly resembles that of Selim III but I cannot read the name of the mint. Hopefully one of the experts will see this soon.
Libya
13 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverOttoman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
alganbagerap ) Trablus Gharb mint in Arabic = Tripoli West, but I could not find anything I don't have a Standard Catalog of World coins.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2124 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The weight would indicate a coin of two piastres, but I can't find a match.
Libya
13 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2018  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverOttoman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What the ? what happened to my pic's
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2124 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  06:11 am  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Edited by SilverOttoman
Yesterday 7:44 pm"

Looks like you accidentally erased them
Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  1:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These appear to be KM#66. I have an older edition of the catalog. They are described as "50 para" and only the dates 1203//16 (1804) and 1203 (17) are listed.

Other sources describe the coins as "80 para". This site lists years 16, 17, 18 - all RR.
https://www.osmanliparalari.com/Gum...labels=709-2
The same year 18 specimen shown above is found at zeno.ru where it is described as "unique".
https://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=80037
I can find no examples of year 19.

All seem to be very rare and would likely fall under the purview of the Libyan Antiquities Authority https://doa.com.ly/mag/en/.

Edited by Kushanshah
09/14/2018 1:27 pm
Libya
13 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverOttoman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much jbuck, I think I accidentally deleted them when I was trying to add Info on coins.
Thanks again,
Kushanshah thank you Unique is given when it is extremely rare to very very valuable adding to the history behind it. ? 19 no listing wow. Okay I need to get a hold of someone with heavy knowledge on Ottoman Libyan coins.
Edited by SilverOttoman
09/14/2018 4:23 pm
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In numismatic terminology, "unique" means "only one piece known to exist".
Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thank you very much jbuck, I think I accidentally deleted them when I was trying to add Info on coins.
You are very welcome.
Libya
13 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverOttoman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kushanshah okay now that I found one metal detecting would it still be Unique ?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.18 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05