Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Raw, Valuable? Note The Floating Roof (1969-D LMC)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 4,180Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
221 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  7:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Clint1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clint1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No initials,,,,roof floating
Pillar of the Community
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF! Can definitely see the floating roof, pic is just blurry enough where I cannot see the FG initials. Rule of thumb, if you can see even a trace of the FG, then it is considered to be there. Even the faintest of outlines.
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clint1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
3533 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  8:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably overpolished die.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over polished die. I can see a very faint outline.
Edited by Jim0815
09/18/2018 8:40 pm
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "No FG" and "floating roof" are indeed a product of an over polished die, and that alone. It is NOTa mint error or a variety coin. It is a novelty type coin searched for by CRHers, and to them, has meaning but unless you con, er convince them to pay for one, it really is only worth a grand total of...1 cent. Or if you save it for melt, .79 cent of unrefined copper(costs about $1.25 to refine it)

Edited by Crazyb0
09/19/2018 11:55 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4779 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it's not treated the same way as a 3-legged buffalo?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not valuable unfortunately. This over polished die issue was very common for 1969.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34683 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clint1970,
Your pics need a bit more light. I can still see some of the FG and some of the vertical line on the right side of the roof. For it to be a keeper,none of the FG or lines on the roof can be viable. Now,even if it was there would be little to no premium,just a fun find.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16772 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So it's not treated the same way as a 3-legged buffalo?

Nope, same cause, same result but while people go crazy over the buffalo due to years of hype, no one cares about the floating roof. Personally I think both are interesting, and neither one is worth anything more than a tiny premium as a novelty item.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2412 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  11:38 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't answer for the no FG thing, which is a bit different as it was once a listed CherryPickers' Guide thing, but I can give a good idea for the premium on a floating roof. A while back I got a set of 1970-S rolls that were top notch, and some had a fully floating roof with no sign of any struts at all. So once in a while I put one on eBay and for a 1970-S that would grade MS-65 or better with zero remaining roof struts I consistently get between four and five dollars. So that's probably about the top end for those, which isn't bad for a penny but not exactly a lot either.
Learn More...
United States
88630 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nope, same cause, same result but while people go crazy over the buffalo due to years of hype, no one cares about the floating roof. Personally I think both are interesting, and neither one is worth anything more than a tiny premium as a novelty item.
I agree.

Definitely a fun find and a keeper for novelty, but not really for profit.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45631 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note that the statue is also missing on the reverse. But just more evidence of heavy die polishing. Note also how AMERICA is also weakened.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
2144 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More food for thought.

I agree with most of the comments and reasoning above. Why does a three legged buffalo or similar die abrasion issues get more notoriety and seemingly variety status, while others don't? I can only think availability and or numbers produced might play a roll. The years 1969 and 1970 production shows multiple dies that exhibited over abraision issues. Finding one in pocket change used to be fairly common. Not so much now.

Early on I took an interest when the floating roof was thought to be a common issue that occurred on any given year. My research done some time ago found 99% of memorial cents exhibiting full double sided floating (abraided) roof were from the years 1969 and 1970. The remaining 1% is not set to memory as I can't think of any other year that shows both sides fully abraided in the same fashion.

Of that 99%, the majority were produced from Denver and San Francisco mints. Some from the Philadelphia mint was found as well, but less common.

Note: in 1969 a new obverse (ODV) and reverse (RDV) designs were introduced. Also note this year the locking lugs used for the multi squeeze hubbing and die alignments were discontinued. Some thought to be a contributing factor to the major 1969S Class I DDO. Another major Class I DDO was produced in 1972 from Philadelphia. I believe the alignment lugs were reintrodused in 1973.

The full double sided floating roof seem to stop after 1970. A second RDV design was used in 1971 and I think 1972 along with the previous RDV design. Again I've seen some other years close, but not completely abraded.

In 1973 another RDV was introduced and the 1969-72 RDV design was no more. Sorry I'm typing off the top of my head and didn't include the actual design listings, I may fill that in later. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Edited by Halo1st
09/19/2018 8:16 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
45631 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those were found years ago and people still thinking they were left off from the die, when they were there and just polished off. Note of those are on my list to ever buy. People find them, and then unload them to another buyer. Hype.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 4,180Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05