Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Strange symbol on this 1894 S Morgan and Washington Quarter

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  3:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CouchDiver1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone,

This is my 1st post so hopefully I'm in the right spot...I was looking through some coins my grandfather left to us and found this strange looking symbol on a Morgan. Up until this point, I had never seen anything like it. Making it even more interesting, the marking appears to be a relief, rather than engraving...what am I looking at?

In going through the set, I found similar markings on several other coins of different other denominations. Don't have pics of those currents, but found this quarter the other day in change. Very odd looking... Cheers!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24663 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. The quarter looks like it took a hit and the Morgan does look like a W or M was scratched on it.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3520 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  3:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Forum

with john1
Learn More...
United States
63364 Posts
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CouchDiver1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, the quarter looks like a scratch on indernt, but the morgan symbol is "raised", almost like it was welded on... Nether represents a mint error, but kinda cool looking nonetheless.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30170 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2018  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somebody scratched their initial M into the coin, it is graffiti and considered damaged numismatically
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CouchDiver1978 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input guys!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14675 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The initial on the Morgan is done by cutting into the coin at an angle to create a raise displacement of the metal. Sometimes pressure is applied to the raised feature to force it down slightly to close the cut. Can't be sure but it looks like the cuts are on the right side of the lines. Also closely examine the areas where the lines cross each other. Those areas usually show best how it was done. We have seen this many times.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5449 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whomever scratched that Morgan may have been the same
person that worked on this Morgan.

http://goccf.com/t/327560

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6534 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2018  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty sure the Washington quarter was made with a scratched die, a very minor error, not really worth any premium (except maybe to a very few), most collectors want the best coins they can find, ones without errors like this, while others that collect by die variety use them to help differentiate various dies.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14675 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No because the A and the P below it show an incuse line through them. The coin is scratched not the die.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
6534 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks raised to me.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14675 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the lighting, See how the letters are lit on the side toward the bottom of the picture and dark on the side toward the top of the picture. Then look at the line through the A. It is dark on the bottom edge and light on the top edge. Exactly the opposite of the lettering which we now is raised.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14763 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scratched die on the quarter and graffiti on the Morgan.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14675 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One other thing, if it was a scratched die how do you scratch the recessed area of the A and the recessed area of the P but NOT scratch the raised field between them?
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05