Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Online Canadian Coin Grading Guide

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  8:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jim MacKenzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After more than six months of research, I finally published an online grading guide for Canadian coins. It isn't absolutely complete, but should have enough entries to get you in the ball park for your coins. As time progresses I will add new images as soon as I find them.

It covers all grades between P1 and MS67, all denominations, all monarchs from 1858 to 1952 (and I will eventually add 1953 to date). I use high resolution photos (3000 by 1500 pixels), the vast majority are of professionally graded and slabbed coins. I ran the entire guide past the coin club's resident grading experts to make sure they agreed with each grade.

This guide is absolutely free for all to use, and I would appreciate any feedback you all have.

http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/art...ns-ver2.html
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1466 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely AWESOME Jim that must have taken you a very long time - longer than 6mths
This chart will help a lot of people

THANKS
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love older Canadian coins and I love this. I think I stumbled across it last month when I was looking for grade examples on a 1914 Large Cent. It was useful then and I'm sure will be even more useful now. Thanks so much for this, I'll definitely be using it for future references.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4479 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2018  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks , like a lot of time and effort has gone to produce this, really helpful to all, thanks and welcome !
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim MacKenzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well to be perfectly honest it took 7 months of 12-16 hours a day, 6 days a week. I now have a database of 5900 PCGS graded Canadian coins, with the denomination, year, variety and grade recorded for each. It has come in really handy for creating infographics and articles.

Unfortunately ICCS has no internet presence, let alone photos of each coin. NGC shows photos of each graded coin if you enter the cert number AND grade, but their photos are basically crap. I needed very high resolution images. PCGS gold shield images are usually bigger than 5000 by 2500 pixels, but I shrank them all down to 3000 by 1500 just to save some room on the server.

By the time the guide is absolutely complete I will have found 1053 photos... lol

I will have to compromise on a lot of the Elizabeth II and/or really low grade coin photos, simply because most people don't bother sending an AG3 1962 one cent for slabbing and grading...

You can't do a search in PCGS for a specific year, denomination and grade. The best you can do is to spot a slabbed coin elsewhere, write down the cert number, start 30 numbers lower and check each one up to about 30 numbers higher. a lot of people will send a bunch of coins in one shipment. I have found as many as 150 consecutive certs...
Edited by Jim MacKenzie
09/21/2018 01:34 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2840 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For years, the only fairly accurate grading guide was CanadianCoinoisseur and then it disappeared. It has been archived now.
http://web.archive.org/web/20130902115503/http://coinoisseur.com/GradiNGCoins.html

Thank you for your efforts. Everyone should save it as an immediate reference.
Valued Member
Canada
446 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  07:37 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic job. The community owes you a debt of gratitude for your hard work and dedication.

You would think Canadian Coins would be a good way to reference the Newfoundland series of coins but they seem to be graded much tougher by ICCS. It doesn't make sense to me. I've never found a good reason why.
Pillar of the Community
United States
763 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a nice resource! Well done! Thanks for sharing it.

I haven't got past the 1858-1859 large cents yet. Lots of nice varieties represented there.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1466 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very nice work Jim MacKenzie, congrats and thank you for sharing it will be very useful for many
Learn More...
Canada
8930 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  09:56 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is awesome!! And, not that I want to pile more work on you, but I would also love to see this expanded to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI and NFLD coins...

Of course, grading is an opinion, and I disagree with some of the circulated grades - but hey, it is impossible to have everyone in agreement on this topic.

Send me a PM when you get to the 1-cent coins 1953 to modern, and dollars 1968-1986. I can help you out with some higher grade images. I also have lowball (pocket piece) images of post-1968 50c and nickel dollars (some are listed on my eBay store, as well as ICCS certified lowball silver dollars - feel free to grab those images).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4205 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work, Jim Looks like you found yourself a few more images too!
Valued Member
Canada
430 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great work...I have always had trouble with Mint State George VI coins
Learn More...
Canada
8930 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again, this is awesome...

I note you give credit to Heritage Auctions, PCGS and ICCS in your images. You might want to check with your Coin Club to ensure that your club has the proper permission (copyright of photos and derivative works) to use the photos obtained from other sources outside of your Coin Club. I suspect since this for a non-profit organization, there should be no issue with Fair Use - but it is always a good thing to confirm so.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim MacKenzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To SPP-Ottawa:
I obtained full written permission from all corporate sources, with the provision that our club never makes any money from it. The guide is a public service, for education only.
No need to get permission for images taken from E-Bay ads because once they are published on E-Bay they are effectively in the public domain (took a long time to confirm that). But in quite a few cases I did get permission from E-Bay sellers, and a couple of them actually offered several more images.

Actually, there are two images in another article of mine that I was granted full internet publication rights to, just because I reported a coin dealer in the US who was claiming copyright and threatening legal action if I used the photos. Too bad the photos in question were taken by The Royal Mint's head archival photographer, and the photo was of the 1911 Pattern Dollar coin that is in the Bank of Canada Currency Museum... lol

When they replied to me that they were going to start legal action on the dealer they asked if I would like anything. I said "The photo of the reverse is out there on the net, but there is nothing for the obverse. I assume your photographer shot both?"

That's when they sent me the files along with an e-mail giving our club formal publication permission:
http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/art...tml#1911-dol

Just for fun they also sent me the photos of the lead pattern dollar...
Edited by Jim MacKenzie
09/21/2018 3:04 pm
Canada
40 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim MacKenzie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To SPP-Ottawa:
I would LOVE to use your F-2 1935 and 1936 dollar images, as well as your G-6 1954 dollar! They will fill 3 holes!
If you agree, I want to add credit to the bottom right corner of each finished image. What would you like me to write?

Would you mind e-mailing all 3 of the original photos for each(that E-Bay hasn't compressed)?
You can send them to info@saskatooncoinclub.ca
I'm the Webmaster for the club so all e-mails are automatically forwarded to my personal account...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
706 Posts
 Posted 09/21/2018  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW! Absolutely stellar job done.
I and many many others here appreciate your hard work.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05