Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kingdom Of Poland Coins By Century (963 - 1586)

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 160 / Views: 11,970Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  08:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reviving this thread again for a new pick-up.
The coin I'll post also pertains to the thread on coins of West Prussia started by @oriole http://goccf.com/t/343460

Poland 1584 solidus/schilling, Malbork mint first year of operation.

During the reign of Stefan Batory (1576-86), two new crown mints were opened, in Olkusz (1580) and Malbork (1584). They would both operate for relatively short periods, closing in 1601. Additionally, coins were minted in Riga which for the first time bore the image of the Polish king (a few were posted upthread by @jadey).
The reverse legend reads SOLIDVS TERRARVM PRVS or "schilling of Prussia." I think this type is the last one issued in Poland that refers to Prussia as the origin or location of use of the coin.

Edited by tdziemia
07/13/2019 09:06 am
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tdziema
Interesting piece. I have a new 16th century groz I'll post as soon as it's photographed. I got your reply on the FUN show.

Also I'm slowly fixing my website with CSS & javascript. I'm thinking of maybe some sort of interactive display showing Poland through the ages with a changing map, mints, and coins. Any suggestions?

Also for anyone here, I'll be at the FUN Show in Orlando today. Dealers have spurned all my requests for dinner as they're tired and I'm too small of a fish for invites. However if anyone here goes to the Orlando Show, email me.
Edited by Gallienus
07/13/2019 10:30 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
66 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is mine one of the weirdest and nicest Kingdom of Poland coin:

I do not remember exact size, but it is at least 20 mm, maybe a little more. And weight is 0.23 gr. Coin is quite thin. It is really surprise how it survived.

I was able to identify this coin. It is:

http://sredniowiecze.wcn.pl/coins/143

But I didn't find any other references or similar coins besides of it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 11/24/2019  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Really a spectacular coin! I don't know this type, but coins from these two rulers are very difficult to find, and yours looks exceptional.
Wow!
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
725 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an unique polish coin from the 11th century. Which is in gumowski. And not in any other reference known? Not any german books or other books appears this coin. But I am still looking for more references. As it appears to be only in black white paper.

I am still discussing with some numismatics about this one. But as it is only be known in this book as far as I know and information Ive gotten. They have no other references to describe it 100% certain to poland. I think as the Herman I denar you see often in auction. It should be him. The portrait is more or less the same. And the style of the coin is identique.

Mine is seen as 1021 and 1022 in the references of Gumowski. 1007 till 1020 you see often in auctions. But not mine

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for bumping the thread with that nice contribution.

I tried a quick search in the WCN archive and did not see an example of this coin. And the February Marciniak auction included a large collection (over 400) of unusual Polish medieval coins, and I did not see an example there either.

So I agree this must be quite an unusual coin!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3358 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bumping this thread to post a new acquisition. My photos didn't come out nearly as well as the auction house's, so I will use theirs.

Poland coins from the 13th century are devilishly hard to to get. I had a gap in my OFER collection between the reign of Mieszko III (died 1202) and Wenceslas II of Bohemia who reigned concurrently as king of Poland 1300-1305. This was an era when there was no united Kingdom of Poland, just duchies (Wielkopolsa, Masovia, Kujawia, etc), and coinage of powerful bishops.
SO, here is a denar of Iwo Odrowaz, bishop of Krakow 1218-1229. The description from various sources: Obv: Prince seated on throne facing right, holding banner SCS VENCESLAVS Rev: Bishop atop cathedral with dome and two towers SCS VENCESLAVS. Kopicki 232, Gum. 236.

Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gallienus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
here is a denar of Iwo Odrowaz, bishop of Krakow 1218-1229.

Very nice piece tdziemia. I should mention that the recent release of the ANA journal had a good article on Bractates. I don't know if this coin is one but apparantly the brachtates were often church issued coins as they had the resources or 'exemption' to strike coins when the state nor others couldn't or didn't for a variety of reasons.

On Polish references, I've tried to get a copy of Gumowski as all I have is Arthur Majeski's book. However, they're always unavailable.

Also I wanted to mention there is an article published about a recent find in Poland about a large hoard of some 1,700 or so well circulated silver Roman denarii from the 2nd century AD. The coins seem to run from Nerva (96-98 AD) to Septimus Severus 198-211 AD. After then the denarii become very debased silver.

I'll look for a link to the article if desired.
link to article:
Edited by Gallienus
04/05/2020 6:59 pm
Valued Member
Netherlands
66 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Netherlands
66 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vstefanyuk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like link is expired...

Denar. Zygmunt I Stary 1506-1548 (Monety Koronne). R3
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 160 / Views: 11,970Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05