Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1825 Bust Half Dollar - Ready for Grading Opinions

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  10:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Title says it all
Have you gotten your half dollar fix today?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6112 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-30
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28797 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-25 net, split grade.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13637 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-20
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I graded this VG... Apparently I must not have a good knowledge with this series
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6637 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse F12 - Obverse could go VF20: Net grade F15

Here's a good photo grade link. You can look at the pics and decide for yourself compared to what others may say:
Use the LEFt, RIGHT arrows to navigate - click on coin picture to enlarge
https://www.PCGS.com/photograde/#/Capped50/Grades
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Edited by Mark1959
09/26/2018 5:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6112 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This series is known for strike weaknesses and can be difficult to grade. I've seen examples with a VF-20 reverse and an EF-40 or 45 obverse.

Edited by SilverDollar2017
09/26/2018 5:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6637 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never fails - some say wear - others will claim weak strike. Some say weak strike - others will say wear. Anybody got a link that would clear this up?
I say this one is wear, especially on reverse.
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6112 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apologize for editing my earlier post - didn't realize I edited out that part. I'm sure another member will be able to explain better than I about CBH strike issues.

Personally, I think this one could grade VF-25 to VF-30. I feel the reverse has a weaker strike than the obverse.

Edited by SilverDollar2017
09/26/2018 5:52 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28797 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my mind there's no doubt the reverse suffered from striking weakness - the wear pattern is just too uneven. I might be talk down to VF-20, but absolutely not less.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13637 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In my mind there's no doubt the reverse suffered from striking weakness - the wear pattern is just too uneven. I might be talk down to VF-20, but absolutely not less.

When I graded it VG a few years ago, I was either

1 - Very conservative with the grading
2 - Had zero knowledge of the series

I'd likely pick #2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13637 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Years past the quality of strike never use to be considered in the grading. It is now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6637 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a PCGS VF20 - do you want to argue weak strike and tell me PCGS will grade these BOTH at 20? Just trying to figure this weak strike crapola out.

Should state this coin is from a seller I follow on eBay.

Edited by Mark1959
09/26/2018 8:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2836 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  7:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If Marks coin is VF20, I'm at F or less with the OP's coin. Am I the only one thinking the color is not right? I thinking it's been cleaned.

Nice coin Mark! !

Edited by USSID18
09/26/2018 7:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5670 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2018  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i was at f15 based on the original pics. the slabbed coin seems to show more detail. especially in the reverse.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05