Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 American Liberty Design

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
1493 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  3:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Somewhat buried in an article at CoinUpdate this morning is the CCAC recommended design for the 2019 American Liberty coin.

Quote:
Next up was the Mint's relatively new American Liberty program. The third installment of the program, which includes 24K gold $100 coins, along with silver medals, will come out in 2019. One change in the program is the size of the silver medals, which will now be 2-1/2 ounces in weight.

For the 2019 coin and medal, the Mint compiled a selection of ten earlier design proposals from its 2015 and 2017 portfolios. CCAC members praised the suite of designs for their artistry but reserved their main attention for those that avoided anachronistic symbols of Liberty such as Phrygian caps. The committee's choices to recommend to Secretary Mnuchin were Obverse 10 (also the favorite of the Commission of Fine Arts) and Reverse 10.

What do we think? I kind of like the obverse, but I'm not too fond of the close-up of the eagle's head on the reverse -- I prefer a more full-body image. And a 2-1/2 ounce silver medal? That's a new size, isn't it?

Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with you on the reverse. A full body shot of the eagle in flight would have been better imo.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4062 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan of the obverse design. To me, it looks too much like Lady Liberty is wearing a folding hand fan - I don't find it flattering at all.

If engraved well, I think the close-up view of the eagle on the reverse could be stunning. I've seen similar views on several coins and such a design approach can definitely work.

I'm disappointed that the silver medal has changed size/weight. I don't have an issue with the Mint adding a second option for the silver medal, but they should also continue the current size format (i.e. one ounce, ASE planchet). Many collectors like consistency when they are assembling a series - it would be nice if the Mint could address such collecting habits by continuing the one-ounce version as well as adding the larger size.

Learn More...
United States
77123 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Half a puck. Bummer. I was looking forward to them use the ASE planchets again. I will have to wait and see how they are priced.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4720 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm...2 1/2 ounce sounds interesting but definitely not consistent with a series. I will add at that size that eagle will be overwhelming...

Not a fan of the obverse

Here's my guy taken in So Florida this year. They could have used it with my permission

Edited by Foxwoods Man
09/28/2018 4:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12452 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse is okay at best. Overall another terrible job by the US mint. The fact that the best they can do is try to copy old designs is really quite sad
Valued Member
United States
319 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mellamobradley46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had heard they were going with #6

If they chose this one I think the image would have made a cool carry over from front to back in the medal alignment.
Learn More...
United States
77123 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1493 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that one better too.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yet another example of tangible proof from the mint that being able to draw certainly does not make someone an artist.

The transparent "folding fan" on her head unbalances the OBV's front and her hair that can be plainly seen reminds me of flames. The overall irony of the coin, to me, also makes it a loser. The purpose of these coin designs (besides making collectables/profits) is to make people reflect on the long history of liberty in our nation, yet the effigy is not historically accurate. The same can be said about the first coin of this series, although I did like that design better.

As to the REV, the majesty of the bald eagle as a whole seems, to me, to lose something when I am close enough to tell if the eagle needs to use a Kleenex or not.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1493 Posts
 Posted 09/28/2018  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the majesty of the bald eagle as a whole seems, to me, to lose something when I am close enough to tell if the eagle needs to use a Kleenex or not.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1493 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So #10 above (the close-up) was the CCAC recommendation; #6 was CFA's, just missing CCAC's vote because of how the feathers were depicted.

If you're curious to see the other designs re-considered from the 2015/2017 submissions, they're here. The obverses are pretty much hit-and-miss but there are some spectacular eagles here, even among the close-ups.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12452 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

If you're curious to see the other designs re-considered from the 2015/2017 submissions, they're here. The obverses are pretty much hit-and-miss but there are some spectacular eagles here, even among the close-ups.

1 and 2 for the reverses are spectacular. 2 and 5 for the obverse are alright but you're right the reverses are definitely a lot better
Pillar of the Community
United States
3403 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That obverse is hideous. Why not just have a giant ear, since that's dominant over the rest of the image.

Edited by jimbucks
10/02/2018 4:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After viewing all of the artwork I am convinced the people who make the choices are people I would never want to judge an art contest. Its almost as if they tried to choose the worst (not quite though) of the OBV and REV.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
10/02/2018 4:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#5 for the obverse would have been my preference. 1 & 2 for the reverse.
Edited by wyzeguy
10/02/2018 7:01 pm
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05