Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just Started Classic Commemoratives 50 Piece Type Set

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
28 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  9:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SVI to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After completing the "1900's & 2000's Type Set" (see http://goccf.com/t/325664), I decided to start the "Classic Commemoratives 50 Piece Type Set". I am in love with the old commemoratives for a long time; the only problem is that they are quite expensive (at least for me), so it will be a long journey.

I am going to follow some rules:
- only slabs (PCGS or NGC), no raw coins.
- MS 62 - 65 for the main part.
- VF - AU for the most expensive coins.
- eye appeal - as high as possible.
Does this sound reasonable? Any advice/comments from the forum members would be appreciated.

I attach the photos of my first seven halves. Reading this forum, I met several times that an eye appeal was estimated (out of 10). Any comments about the eye appeal of these seven coins?

Edited by SVI
09/29/2018 9:21 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are some great coins - I love the hint of color on the Columbian.

I think your goal is very achievable. It's not a set that you'll assemble overnight, but you can build it over time. When I started building my commem set, I called it my "20-year" set, now after just about 4 years, I lack 3 coins. You'll be in the right place at the right time and get some great coins. Along the way, you'll see some great pieces that many collectors don't see.

I'd recommend finding a copy of the Swiatek volume on these coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
831 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you follow those rules, you will end up with an unbelievable set. I looked at all seven of your coins. Very nice! I like all types of commems. Blast white.Toned. Lowball.

Thanks for sharing!!
Edited by thisistheshow
09/29/2018 9:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1353 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're off to a fine start. I really like the coins pictured. It can be a challenge to find lower grade examples of certain issues so you may end up with a complete MS set in the end.

Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2650 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It can be a challenge to find lower grade examples of certain issues so you may end up with a complete MS set in the end.
- IIRC, while it's not quite the case for those that the more expensive an issue is, the scarcer it is in non-MS grades (even comparatively), it's still a good rule of thumb, and the rarest types in non-MS are also some of the most expensive (Hawaiian, Spanish Trail).

I considered the 50-piece type set until I looked up their prices... 3 figures almost all except a few of the most common!
Now I'm not sure if I'd even find enough affordable examples to fill the 7070 row of four; I might have to get modern commemoratives for that, which would just be sad...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1513 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding start to your set! All have great eye appeal. That will be a wonderful set to work on.
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice start!

I thought about starting a raw set but quickly found out that I need to study and research before starting such a set.

This might be long and expensive journey, so wish you good luck

Keep us posted with new coins
"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6659 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the pursuit of a wonderful type set of USA coinage history. Your initial 7 coins have you off to a good start. Learn all you can about the history behind each coin and you'll certainly expand your enjoyment of the coins and pursuit.

You've chosen a good time to pursue such a set as prices are lower for these coins compared to 4-5 year ago .... not that they are inexpensive by any means.

I've long been a fan of the classic silver commemorative set ... and have completed type sets both MS and honestly circulated. For me, the opportunity to pursue 50 different coin designs ... each with a unique history ... was and remains a wonderful collecting experience.

Quote:
Any advice/comments from the forum members would be appreciated.

A few thoughts come to mind from my experiences:

Your strategy of pursuing the 'most expensive coins' in circulated state will likely not bring you closer to your goal. Unlike the majority of US Mint production, these coins were not intended for circulation and, as such, honestly circulated examples for many (most) are in fact much more difficult to come across than mid-MS examples.

If you were pursuing say Lincoln Cents then such a strategy would work - you could obtain certified VF examples of the 1909-S VDB or 1914-D at lower cost then an MS63 example because they are available in the market.

That is not the case with this type set - a strategy of selecting your 1935 Spanish Trail (for example) in VF will not work. Even if you found one (I've been looking for over 10 years) you'll find the coin to be more expensive than an MS63 example due to collector demand for the honestly circulated example.

Second thought for you to consider is what I'm going to call 'optimal collecting grade'. There exists a market price for each MS type coin that slowly increases as the grade increases until the point where there is a significant price increase for a single grade jump. The 'optimal collecting grade' is the MS grade just before that big jump.

It's different for each coin in this MS type set - and some research on your behalf can identify the OCG for each. That would allow you to maximize the grades of your MS type set with not much additional investment.

As an example from your coins pictured above - your 1936 Oregon Trail is a handsome coin that anyone would be proud to own. At MS62 it is well below the "OCG" and you likely could have found an MS65 type Oregon Trail for just a few dollars more.

Again - welcome to this pursuit and I look forward to watching and reading as your type set grows.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6659 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2018  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Adding to my comments above - had a wonderful Sunday hiking with my life partner ... somewhat surprised there are no additional comments.

To the question of choosing TPG slabs only - PCGS/NGC specifically - I agree for a new member of this pursuit - although education can get you out of that mode.

There are many counterfeit examples of these coins alas available - most are obvious to the educated collector - and series knowledge always defeats all price/authenticity questions.

Best advise - learn the series for raw coins or stay with TPG certification - its a wonderful collecting journey either way.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1994 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great start to a fun series to collect. I never understood how relatively inexpensive these coins are compared to their mintages. Enjoy the series as many of us do!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are some beautiful examples you have picked up.

Quote:
these coins were not intended for circulation and, as such, honestly circulated examples for many (most) are in fact much more difficult to come across than mid-MS examples.

Keep that in mind as you continue this quest.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
5898 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2018  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I began assembling my set as a young man with a piece here and another there filling slots in my Whitman album. Forgotten for times, additions in clusters and after over 40 years I am now down to the one Hawaiian example for a type set. these coins are a pleasure to view and I wish you success in your search for quality coins to add to your set.

Edited by muddler
10/02/2018 09:28 am
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SVI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your kind opinions.

Quote:
I'd recommend finding a copy of the Swiatek volume on these coins.

Thanks. Ordered one of his books and already got it yesterday. Now my small library on classic commems contains four books (see photo).

Quote:
Your strategy of pursuing the 'most expensive coins' in circulated state will likely not bring you closer to your goal. Unlike the majority of US Mint production, these coins were not intended for circulation and, as such, honestly circulated examples for many (most) are in fact much more difficult to come across than mid-MS examples.

Got it. To be honest, I am not worrying about prices for the most expensive coins right now. It will be a problem in future for me, but not now.

Quote:

Second thought for you to consider is what I'm going to call 'optimal collecting grade'.

Interesting idea, thanks. I will try to follow it for next coins.

Quote:

Enjoy the journey and keep us updated.

I will do.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3993 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with others - you are off to a great set with your first seven coins!

The US commemorative series is my favorite series to collect. I started with a raw "BU" set, then upgraded it to a PCGS MS-63 set then upgraded that set to PCGS MS-65 and up. I've enjoyed the trip and have shared my current collection here on CCF.

The series definitely has a few coins that are expensive in mint state, but, as noted by nickelsearcher, some of them are expensive in circulated grades as well. I would suggest an approach that attempts to match the coins in your set as best you can, even if it means the pace of purchase needs to be slowed.

Each of the coins you have posted appears to be an attractive, problem-free, lustrous example. A worn VF example of a more scarce coin in the set would look out of place in such company and it would always be something that stands out and catches your eye as you view your collection.

I would suggest limiting yourself to coins that grade no lower than AU-55. It is a grade that you can find very nice looking coins with lots of luster but just the slightest amount of wear. There are nice AU examples out there that present every bit as nice as a mid-grade mint state coin except for some very minor wear. I recently saw a lustrous Isabella in PCGS AU-58 that was a dead ringer for an MS-63/64 coin - I had to look hard for the wear!

Take your time, get to know the "look" of each coin and wait for nice examples. I would also suggest not leaving all of the scarcer coins to the end of your journey. Such coins will experience the biggest price jumps when the market turns and commemorative coins are "hot" again.

Have fun!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37913 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thoughtful advice as always.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05