Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1916 Lincoln Wheat Cent Possible Matte Proof?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a Mason jar of wheat cents at a garage sale and found this 1916 in it. Has crud on it but the details are so sharp I was wondering if this could possibly be a proof (impared)? I'm not real good at telling matte proofs. If not a proof then this 1916 sure does have some great details - and actual grade? Thanks.

Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't see any "Matte" surface, that is like a cameo frosting, makes surface rough. Too smooth, normal BS.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, didn't get my hopes up but I was taken by the great details on the cent.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doubt it's a matte proof. But can you check above EPU and below the rim for any die scratches anyway?
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything SD. Heres what threw me off, letters look like on reverse from DDD but yet the details of the devices are so sharp...

Pillar of the Community
United States
4540 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a clue but that's a stunning find Mark! The stain and crud is a shame but still an outstanding strike with all that mint luster! !
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't have a clue but that's a stunning find Mark

Yep, story of my life - Go perch fishing and only catch sheephead!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16115 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GREAT FIND! MS DETAILS

100% not a proof. 1916 was the first year for a new master hub, they are all struck this good.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
10/01/2018 7:50 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42931 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a proof and not a great find. No matte texture and check out the thin reverse rims, not to mention the chink. Grade: Unc details (ED). The coin has very little value in my opinion.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/01/2018 7:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  8:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh , Thank you Thad!
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  8:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin has very little value in my opinion.

WOW! - Who peed in your Cheerios lately Mr Frog!
Edited by Mark1959
10/01/2018 8:13 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42931 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mark - Hey, just saying. Tell me anything you see in this coin that creates value. The obverse is discolored with evident environmental damage from K10 to K4, no hope of restoration at all. Reverse rim chink. It deserved to be in a Mason jar.

Honestly, where is the value here?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yep, story of my life - Go perch fishing and only catch sheephead!
I know how you feel. I go bassing and catch channel cats, go catfishing and catch carp. You can't win.

Quote:
Tell me anything you see in this coin that creates value. The obverse is discolored with evident environmental damage from K10 to K4, no hope of restoration at all. Reverse rim chink. It deserved to be in a Mason jar.

Honestly, where is the value here?

IMHO I think even if it isn't intrinsically valuable it's still a great find for a garage sale. Value and beauty are in the eye of the cent holder. I may pay $10 because that's all I feel it's worth, while someone who's sentimintally attached to it may pay $100. That's supply and demand
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4540 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  8:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It deserved to be in a Mason jar.

Throw it back in a mason jar? Really? That coin would look great in my old beat-up 1909-1940 Whitman folder.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the absence of the die markers, it's a well struck business strike. Not the matte proof unfortunately.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 10/01/2018  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tell me anything you see in this coin that creates value.

I never mentioned value - I can give a crap about money. Money makes people turn weird. I'm an old country boy that to me life means happiness to have a good woman, a good truck, and a good dog!
Ya know whats funny? I brought out my 1857 FE's to day for a pic and I found out I actually had 2 1955 Doubled dies. I thought I only had one. HA! Actually does pay to check into your coin collection every now and then!!
Tom might flip about this one!! I was amazed these were in pretty good condition!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05