Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1878-s Morgan VAM 111?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 10/06/2018  11:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just in. Another VAM! Having a hard time nailing this one down. Obverse is obvious. EDIT--or is it? If the verticle die gouge pointing to the the 'I' of Pluribus as shown on VAM 111 images on VAMworld 2.0 is only on VAM 111 then we have a winner!!

Edited by collectinsince65
10/06/2018 3:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AU90o to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need better photos
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  09:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree! My picts do need vast improvement. Met with a fellow numismatist yesterday at his shop. He show'd me a tripod unit that he uses. I plan on a purchase soon. Thank you!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2733 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are three 1878-S coins that have the II 9 obverse (All having the vertical gouge mentioned), Vams 22, 77 and 111. The reverse is used to narrow down the attribution, specifically the mintmark location and gouges in the tail feathers.

Do you have this coin "in-hand"? I'm not seeing the drastic doubling of 'Rib. Also check the nostril. All three have the nostril polished away.

We need close-ups of the mintmark, tail feathers, and 'RIB.

I hope you have a winner.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your reply Seated Nut! Coin is not in hand today. Will bring it to the office in the morning. Based on mintmark location for my poor images I think I have it narrowed to VAM 22 or VAM 111. VAM 77 mm seems to be more centered than the image posted here. RI is as VAM world 2.0 shows doubled--it is what caused me to buy the coin. (B) of RIB has been bumped and flattened where it should be doubled on the lower left. Nostril is clear from polishing. Based on the low grade it was difficult to pick up the die scratch in the tailfeathers of either 22 or 111. At the moment I'm thinking it probably is 22 and not 111. Hope I'm wrong.EDIT--Coin in hand this morning-- mintmark position seems to be correct. And it does have the 'die marker' vertical polishing line between the feathers left the eagle's right leg! VAM111! Will have it verified and update when confirmed. Thank you to all for your posts. New magnified images posted next week.
Edited by collectinsince65
10/10/2018 11:51 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05