Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 Large cent Variety

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1254 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  7:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just received this one in the mail today I purchased it in a Auction in the States. Its the 1881 early die state showing the single row bead die clash but very lightly, PCGS graded MS-63BN pictures

Edited by papeldog
10/09/2018 8:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2045 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very nice. The full ones that I have are a little more pronounced and are of lesser (VF, VF-30 & XF). I don';t think that die clashes stayed on the working die for an extreme length of time .. they wore flat after xxx strikes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2045 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2018  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of my VF's through a 10X scope:
Pillar of the Community
United States
542 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a very nice 1881-H with the early die clash!

Does anyone know if the early "single round bead die clash" or the later "multiple oval die clash" is scarcer?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2045 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen more oval (football)shaped ones .. some appear to be tripled, rather than just doubled. I think it's harder to find a well-defined, longer clash that involves many "beads" than any of the multiples. BTW, the GR-91 (clashed '81)got one of the 5 scarcity "8's" in Griffin's book .. the highest number he gave to anything in there .. the same rarity as the single-serif '81. But I think that it should be a "7", since the single serif is extremely hard to find and I have multiple clashed '81's.
Edited by okiecoiner
10/10/2018 3:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
600 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you look closely at papeldog and okies coins they're not the same.
The positioning of the clash is different, or not?

Cheers, Bill
Pillar of the Community
United States
542 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that info on the clashes Bill.

Did Griffin mention both type of clashes (single and multiple) in his book?
Pillar of the Community
United States
542 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you look closely at papeldog and okies coins they're not the same.
The positioning of the clash is different, or not?

I think you are right Bill. Papeldog's coin could be a different reverse die with a lighter clash.

It would be interesting to see the obverses of both of those coins. I expect they are different obverse dies also.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5172 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1881H Canada.
One cent.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1254 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also think your correct Hounddog Bill.

It is a lighter clash than Okie's coin but it does look like a different placement of the clash marks, mine also shows some clash marks between the C + E of cent and running down from the bottom of the E between the 1+8 in the date. I have another in vf condition it doesn't show the clash between the C +E and has 3 beads between leaf 8 and the vine coming in front of leaf 9 where this one has 2 + 1/2 beads.
I think the shift of the beads are more to the right on my first coin by 1/2-3/4 of a bead farther than Okie's example, the same goes for the obverse the coin in question has a different obverse than the one I have in vf condition.
This is pictures of the MS-63 first picture the obverse has doubling of the letters as well as a few die crack, one in the C of Canada, another on the last A in Gratia and one to the right of the I in DEI where the other coin has no die cracks

The last picture is my vf condition coin
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1254 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  12:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin Dorado DDO obverse its shows the doubling really good
Edited by papeldog
10/10/2018 12:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2045 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2018  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Griffin just mentions a coin, Gr-91 (r-8) with "the beads and the letters of the legend of the Obverse showing under the leaves of the reverse at the bottom of the coin". I will take the 6 that I have (3 round and 3 footballs) out of their holders and under the microscope to show what they all are when I get a chance. I have LOTS of DDO Obverses for 1881, some round-the-clock and some not.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1444 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2018  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are my die clashed 81's

please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1254 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a few 81 reverse bead clash's gidjit very nice.

I have 2 of the single bead clash coins 1 strong bead clash and the other is the lighter clash marks, but they have different obverse die's the one that looks more common from what I have seen is this one

I have seen fewer this obverse die that I have it is one of the DDO type but it also has some markers a die crack at the last A in Gratia and one through the C in Canada and a light one on the right of the I in DEI. I have only noticed this obverse on the single bead clash coins.
Just wondering if anyone else has this obverse die in either clash single or multi

Edited by papeldog
10/12/2018 12:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
542 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Papeldog, I think I have 3 of that last obverse with the re-punching on GRATIA and the die crack through the C. I haven't checked to see if they have the light bead clash on the reverse, but I will take a look at them later to see if any of them do.

The first obverse you pictured (with the heavier die clash reverse) is (I think) the same obverse die that develops a die crack through the V of VICTORIA which closes the top of the V. By the time it develops that crack, it is paired with a different reverse die with no clashes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1444 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this one just showed up in the mail today a bit worn but was cheap

please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05