Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very worn roman coin identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
39 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  02:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add FuzzyDuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is anyone able to help me identify this badly worn roman coin? It's probably the size of a British 2 pence and quite heavy.
Thanks in advance

Valued Member
United States
377 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the purported size (25 mm) it's likely a sestertius or as.
My guess is Vespasian or one of his sons Titus or Domitian.
On the reverse I see a figure standing, left arm holding something.
Titus RIC 441 perhaps (just a guess)

Visit these sites:
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/...asian/t.html
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/titus/t.html
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/domitian/t.html

Been out metal detecting in the garden have we? I live in the wrong country for this hobby...

Edited by jskirwin
10/12/2018 09:51 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3897 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is Vespasian - I reckon I can just about make out VESP[ASIAN] behind the head. The portrait is right for him, but as Jskirwin has said, the portrait for Titus is quite similar too.

The figure on the reverse is less clear, but looks to be holding a cornucopia and standing left. There are a few goddesses who it could be. If they are holding something in their right hand, that would narrow it down. The coin is probably something like this:
United Kingdom
39 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FuzzyDuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for taking the time to help. I'll do a bit more research. Out of currisosity, the reverse is very black, but I can see bits underneath but cannot get any more dirt off after soaking in olive oil and then distilled water. Is it likely black patina or just very stubborn dirt? I can also see SC Senatus consulto on the reverse
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3897 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2018  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The black is probably patina - the metal showing through means you've either overcleaned it (unlikely, seems you know what you're doing!) or the patina was no good to begin with. I doubt there's anything more to be done with it that would improve it. A good way to show up some details hidden in the dark patina is to press the coin into some foil - especially thin foil, like you get with a kitkat - the contrast is better that way.
Learn More...
Australia
12955 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2018  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's made of orichalcum (a form of brass); it's patina is naturally black, just like modern brass.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1674 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2018  03:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bust appears to have traces of a radiate crown.
United Kingdom
39 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2018  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FuzzyDuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what would a radiate crown imply?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3897 Posts
 Posted 10/16/2018  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The radiate crown would indicate that this is a dupondius (as opposed to the smaller denomination 'As' or larger denomination sestertius).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05