Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I love the results from Verdi-Care!!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  09:43 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently bought some heavily corroded coins. One was a "unicorn" for me....the only copy of a 1959 Windsor Canadian encased cent I have seen.

The results below speak for themselves I think. The coins are obviously not perfect, but the improvement is immense.

Coin #1 1963

Coin #2 1959

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1701 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  10:34 am  Show Profile   Check jdmern's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jdmern to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice results! Wizard Coin supply has been out of stock for a while, I hope they restock soon!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
28797 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Impressive results!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6637 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  11:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Turned the green to black - impressive?
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos aren't great. The thickness of the green was reduced by well over 50%. Thhis was hard dry corrosion. Lots of obscured details were exposed.....

Pillar of the Community
United States
2037 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's neat to see that it didn't hurt the low-grade aluminum that they use on them. I bought some a year or so ago and have been afraid to try it. You're making me a believer.
Valued Member
Canada
207 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  12:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to tell how 'well' this cleaning did. The before and after shots were taken in different settings - resting on different surfaces and with different lighting. The `after` pics seem kind of favourably presented.

And now it occurs to me that we will never have new `before` pics.. haha it must be Friday afternoon.

Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add prefix-kix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I see old corroded coins like these I admire how it took half a century for them to become what they are and I'm always disappointed when someone destroys that.

The nostalgia and beauty of them showing their age is lost forever.
All you have now is ugly cleaned coins.

What a shame.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6112 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could you take some "After" photos in the same setup you took the "before" pics with?

Quote:
What a shame.

Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Edited by SilverDollar2017
10/12/2018 4:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to take before photos so those were just screen grabs from the auction site. I am afraid I can't duplicate them. Here are a couple more where I was a little more careful about the lighting. The 1963 is pretty much clear of the thick hard green. The original lustre is still there and has not been replaced with a "cleaned coin" polish lustre.

The 1959 is still obviously quite compromised. But most of the hard green is gone and the legends are now legible.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4070 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couldn't you just press another better looking penny ?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6637 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Couldn't you just press another better looking penny ?

EWWW! If you are drinking Windsor Canadian whiskey then ever shot you do, the cent looks better!
Did you know that dolphins are so smart that within a few days of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish?

Working on a Dansco 8167 Kennedy half album while waiting for the 8166's to become back in stock.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2101 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huge difference!
Ummm, how long did it take from beginning to end?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all Verdi-Care is not a cleaner ,it's a conservation product . It is useless on highly corroded coins , works like MAGIC on coins with small to medium verdigris .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8113 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Coin #2 was too far gone to begin with, but at least the Verdi-Care will stop any further damage. That would be important if this were a rare type encasement.

I think every collector should have some experience with using it.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1494 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  2:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Altogether about 2 weeks, although the second week had minimal impact.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05