Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Strategies for Starting a Collection of Greeks

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  09:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
After collecting Romans for 4 years I'm considering expanding into Greeks.

Any suggestions on what would be a good collecting strategy? Something focused to create an interesting collection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3860 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, so many possibilities, some of which would of course be budget-dependent. Athenian owls, Herakles-in-lion-skin types, specific denominations or metals, Ptolemaic hockey pucks, style (archaic, Hellenistic), region, etc.

I used to collect some Seleucid and Ptolemaic AR's, which I greatly enjoyed. I think, though, if I were to collect from the Greek world again, I'd go with the big Ptolemy AE's.

Looking forward to seeing what you decide, and tracking your progress. Have fun!
Learn More...
United States
21865 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A vast area to work with. I personally like Ptolemaic and Indo-Greek coinage.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5294 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's any help at all, my personal goals (in about a decade or so!) are to collect:

1) One of each of the major "trade coins", e.g. Tetradrachms of Athens, Syracuse, Thasos etc, Corinthian and Aegean staters, Shekel of Tyre

2) One tetradrachm each of Philip II, Alexander the Great, and his Diadochi

3) As an extended project, *maybe* an emperor set of the Seleucids? Haven't researched how feasible this would be.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9210 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2018  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@jskirwin, after dipping my toe into Greek numismatics over the past coupla years, having a strategy is probably a really good idea. I'm having fun, but should probably settle on a strategy myself.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add museumguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing wrong with NOT having a strategy at first. Collect what appeals to you initially
and then go with what appeals to you the most. You can always sell off what you
are less interested in. I collect Seleucids because they are tied so closely with the
Parthians, my primary interest. Either way, have fun!

Steve S.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mylimebug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My experience is that a person should NOT start their collecting with a specific focus.... as that focus will tend to change over time.

The better experience for collectors is to buy coins that have a historical appeal to them... or have an aesthetic appeal to them. After a few purchases a collecting focus will gradually evolve.

But.... The primary goal should be to have fun and enjoy your purchases.
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree. Begin with whatever strikes your fancy. The focus will eventually find you!
Edited by Kushanshah
10/13/2018 10:53 am
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Greek coin is my favorite area after Islamic. I would say start with Seleukid Tetradrachms. I find them very appealing specially the Antiochus VII , Antiouchus I and II and III coins. There are some rare mints but mostly are mint of Seleucia on Tigris which is common and can be found in CNG most of times. I have a rare ekbatana mint of Antiochus I which is a rare one and one of my best coins in my greek collections. Here are some of my greek highlights.

Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. They've given me much to consider.
AlRashid - those are some lovely tetradrachms. There's something appealing about their size, especially after collecting Roman silver denarii. You've got a great collection!
Valued Member
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  11:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AlRashid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jskirwin for kind words! Yea I love these coins they are artistically very beautiful and craftsmanship of the strike is just phenomenal. They are big and heavy and I like that about these compared to Sasanian and Roman coins. I wish you also enjoy collecting Greek and share the coins you acquire please.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3918 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2018  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, you should start with a selection of uncleaned coins. The process of identifying each one will force you to read about all the different states and the designs they used, then you will be better equipped to decide what direction to go in.

If you like size, take a look at late Alexander tetradrachms from the Temnos mint. The only nice greek coin I ever bought is a 36mm issue from Temnos:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5294 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2018  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circling back to the thread, any more insights on what you think would appeal to you with the Greek coins? I know you were big on Roman coins for their historical appeal; are you wanting the same with Greeks, or would you be happy with a coin type that couldn't be pinned to a specific decade, let alone ruler? I have personally found that some of the Greek coins I find most artistically appealing are also anonymous, generally pre-Alexander issues. Asia Minor has a lot of coins that are artistically appealing, but also not break-the-banks expensive like the more popular issues.

Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2018  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jskirwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn235
I've been reviewing what's available in current auctions and on Vcoins with buyers I trust. Putting my own "Know the coin or know the seller" to use.

You're right: I'm big on historical events for Romans.
But I'm thinking I might start with the eye appeal with the Greeks. The artistry of some of alRashid's and Ben's tetradrachms is unparalleled in Rome.

I'm also a sucker for a pretty lady, and there are plenty of nymph and goddesses floating around that I might start with.
Edited by jskirwin
10/15/2018 4:04 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5294 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2018  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good starting point might be Kyzikos fractions. They are plentiful, pretty, and dirt cheap. I have a half dozen on eBay now, most of which are under $5 and I doubt they will go much higher. They are small, though!

This is my example; still one of my favorite Greek coins:

I didn't expect to, but I found a real soft spot for Persian satrapal coinage of Cilicia in southern Asia Minor, pre-Alexander:

(My favorite although I did part with it when I was offered a price too good to pass up!)

Edited by Finn235
10/15/2018 5:02 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1007 Posts
 Posted 10/19/2018  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe a bronze collection of the Twelve Olympian gods/goddesses could be an interesting start and wont break the bank...Paul

http://goccf.com/t/176215
Edited by Palouche
10/19/2018 06:53 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05