Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 S Washington Quarter Silver Proof Rotated Die 135 degrees CCW

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 10/13/2018  11:17 pm Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know that rotated dies aren't super sought after, but I have a few of them and just got ahold of this one. Probably go the ANACS route as it's pretty sharp and rotated dies show off nicely in holders.

Sorry for the less than stellar photos but the staples help with the orientation to show what is going on so I left it in the holder.

1976-S Washington quarter silver proof rotated die 135 degrees CCW

Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephm99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a nice one for sure!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1783 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Estimate rotation about 144 CCW using orientation of current reverse image. Rotation aside the coin itself should get a nice grade as well. Thanks, Doug.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
10/14/2018 01:12 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24765 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Just wondering though,is the retail value high enough to justify ANACS?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  08:21 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A regular one of these in PF-69 DCAM graded by PCGS can be had for under $20, and this isn't a CAM. So I'm not sure why anyone would grade a regular one unless hoping for a 70. But by going ANACS it'll only cost like about $21 I think to grade it so I'll have $26 in it total. Thus I personally will be able to easily sell it if I ever wish to, and I do not wish to at this time, for more than I have in it. But I just think a coin like this will benefit from encapsulation and look really good that way rather than in a cardboard sleeve. So more a personal choice here rather than a way to improve its value, something I honestly have no clue on. But the rarity index on this guy is R6 (estimated 13-30 known) so I suspect it is worth a fair bit.
Edited by tropicalbats
10/14/2018 08:27 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24765 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a square snap together holder out their,Coin World I think which is Amos. A lot of "basement slabbers" use them and they only cost a few bucks,just a thought. I am not trying to discourage you from sending it in,just trying to save you some money.
John1
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's actually an interesting idea. Probably still go a slab with this one as it's pretty high grade, but a snap kinda holder would actually be quite useful for a number of coins I can think of. Thanks for mentioning that.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24765 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33431 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I figure the degree a lot less, unless I'm missing something. ?

Still a keeper though.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse of the coin is correctly oriented, so 33 is not really it (Coop's angle would be 180-33=147). I seriously looked at it (but did not do actual measurements) and it came out to roughly a 45 degree angle so 90 CCW + 45 more CCW = 135. Which, is exactly the angle on one of the two known rotated dies on these. So I'm fairly sure 135 is pretty close, or this would be a third rotated die for this year. I didn't think Coop rotated the image enough to level out EPU, so using his method I rotated the photo til EPU was level and measure the rotation at 140 degrees. Anyway, somewhere around there. I suspect ANACS will put the official number on it once I get around to sending it off.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33431 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going by the Quarter Dollar. But the EPU would be a better guide. But the Normal would be 180 degrees different than the obverse. So if the image are not rotated to the correct locations of a normal coin, then I could be wrong. I was just rotating with PS to get the reverse image to normal reverse location from the obverse level.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
950 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, I actually really liked the way you quickly and easily did that. I used the same thing, Photoshop, to do that for my reply. Problem is that we really would need to also do the same with the obverse, since I oriented the photos with the staples to keep the images equal. Thus if you look you will see a slight angle off on the obverse as well, which is probably the missing degrees to get the coin from the estimates here of 140 or more down to the expected 135 of the known die rotation. Anyway, I will use that Photoshopo technique in the future, which should work great for non proofs that I can photograph from dead overhead instead of at an angle like a proof needs to be.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2219 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to be doubting your claims that the reverse is correctly oriented, but ir doesn't look that way to me.
The staples in the obverse image are sloped slightly like /OIf the coin was flipped over on a horizontal axis the staples would appear \O/ Being that this is not the case, I can only deduce that the coin was flipped on a vertical axis. That means we should expect the reverse to be 180 off. It would follow then, that the coin is rotated ~35 clock-wise.
Is that not what anyone else is seeing too?
Am I off?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1233 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can the OP take a picture with the coin in front of a mirror so we can see both sides at the same time?
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1021 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  7:02 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
let's see.
ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1783 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2018  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use PS as well. I was thinking the reverse image had a coin oriented flip judging by the staples positions. It took 144 CW (right) rotation to get EPU to level off upright. That means the actual rotation is turned CCW (left) going back to original position.

If you add the slight 1.5 rotation from the obverse image, I'm thinking it may add that much more to the rotation seen on the reverse. The image angle may add or reduce it a bit. Also note I turn on grid lines to aid with alignments when needed.

As far as die rotation in general, I was under the impression if either die came loose in the die's tool set during a production run, it could rotate in either direction by various amounts. If the die was setup in the tool set wrong to begin with, then it might hold that specific pattern through out the run. Thanks, Doug.

edit: Just noticed above, I needed to switch left and right around. Sorry about that. At least my shoes are not on backwards.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
10/15/2018 09:46 am
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05