Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Space Themed Medals & Other Exonumia!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 2,446Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
4134 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  7:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'll start it off with these -

Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is 3 different examples. Two Apollo 11s and one Apollo 15.

1969 Apollo 11 First On The Moon - AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - Medal
1969 Apollo 11 First On The Moon -Armstrong - Collins - Aldrin Medal
1971 Apollo 15 Scott Worden Irwin MOON ROVER Medal

"There is nothing more fascinating than collecting coins, all history is summed up in them...they are the story of humanity."
W.H. Valentine (1856-1927)

eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/globalcoin...collectibles
eBay ID: https://www.ebay.com/usr/sellingsecretslegit
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8734 Posts
 Posted 10/23/2018  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few here

My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice examples.

ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  07:41 am  Show Profile   Check yellow88's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add yellow88 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are super cool!

The 3rd and 4th ones down are my favorite but they are all great!
"There is nothing more fascinating than collecting coins, all history is summed up in them...they are the story of humanity."
W.H. Valentine (1856-1927)

eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/globalcoin...collectibles
eBay ID: https://www.ebay.com/usr/sellingsecretslegit
Learn More...
United States
86110 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8734 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuckster, don't you have any of those big dollars with Eisenhower on them and the moon on the back? LOL

I like this theme. Great submissions so far.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Learn More...
United States
86110 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2018  11:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are not "Medals & Other Exonumia" so I cannot post them here.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2018  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well traveled piece.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2018  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice adds jbuck and pennywise
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Learn More...
United States
86110 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4407 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2018  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've always wondered about the actual amount of space-flown silver contained in medals such as the posted Franklin Mint Apollo 14 medal. For most of the medals that were produced and marketed, there is not enough information available to derive a potential amount in each individual medal. The above post, however, gave me the piece of info that I needed to approximate a percentage (at least for this medal) - the COA states that 10,000 grains of space-flown silver was melted into the silver used to produce the medals.

There were 129,449 of these Apollo 14 medals produced. They are 13 mm in diameter (smaller than a US dime [17.9mm] and a US silver 3-cent piece [14.3mm]) and have a weight of approximately 0.7 grams.

Doing a quick conversion of grams to grains, 0.7 grams equals 10.8 grains.

So, doing some quick calculations, we have 129,449 x 10.8 = 1,398,049 grains of silver needed for the striking of the medals.

10,000 grains of space-flown silver divided by 1.398 million grains of total silver = 0.715 -- i.e., less than 1%. Not very much! (But cool nonetheless!)

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20068 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2018  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting analysis.
Learn More...
United States
86110 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2018  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the silver was in space at some point, having been birthed from a dying star. That is a much cooler fact in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4134 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2018  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Red anodized aluminum, just over 39 mm in diameter.

Colligo ergo sum
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennywise142 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All of the silver was in space at some point, having been birthed from a dying star. That is a much cooler fact in my opinion.

I most heartily agree and would add that according to Carl Sagan we are all made of star stuff.
Edited by Pennywise142
11/01/2018 4:37 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 2,446Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05