Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Matte Proof 1909 VDB Lincoln Cent Die Pair 2 With Solid Evidence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
6255 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2018  11:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I beleive what I have is to be a 1909 VDB Matte Proof Cent that is not from the known die pair. I'm starting a new thread because this is a different topic. I've verified my 1909 VDB Cent as a proof coin, not by a professional but just in my opinion haha. Back in 2010 Bryan Wagner and Kevin Flynn wrote an article on the PCGS website talking about how they discovered a second die pair for matte proof vdb cents. https://www.PCGS.com/news/1909-matt...e-discovered
I hope that link works, I don't know why this isn't all information that's easy to find.
The high lights of that article are the die marker listings. I'll show my pictures and what the die markers are said to be. I have a couple other markers than the ones listed. I don't think that these facts are known by a lot of people in the Coin World and I don't know if this would grade as proof even though all the evidence is here that there is a second die pair for matte proof 1909 VDB cents. I probably will send this in for grading
Obverse

Reverse

There are very tiny die scratches

And here is LIBERTY. One big thing I see in these matte proof Lincoln cents graded as mint state because of this die pair not being known, is that they have a doubled LIBERTY. This doubled die isn't listed anywhere.
Here is my coin

Here are other examples of the MS67+ that look like proofs with the same doubling.

They have prominent lathe lines on the underside of Lincoln's bust

And here are the reverse die markers
Die scratch from M of UNUM

Horizontal scratch inside field of C of CENT

Doubled UN in UNITED

3 o'clock die chip at rim

Here is all the evidence that my 1909 VDB cent is a matte proof from the second die pairing.
Edited by SilverStackerKid
11/02/2018 11:53 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3876 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A big auction house would have a much better chance of getting this coin slabbed as a proof than you would.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29477 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2018  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt. Fine looking example in any event with great accompanying photos.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9120 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2018  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes !
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

United States
46 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinguy2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a proof to me just judging by the rims/ edges. GREAT FIND
Pillar of the Community
United States
6785 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14131 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's worth the gamble getting it slabbed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29477 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17086 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes get it slabbed and authenticated. And remember as far as die pairs or anything about dies used at the Mint over 100 years ago. No one really knows.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05