Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Who wants a 2021 Morgan and Peace Medal?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  11:59 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just did a Mint survey and that is one of the products they are considering.

It would use the Morgan design front and back (so I am not sure why it would be "and Peace").

It will have a dual date (1921-2021).

It will not have ONE DOLLAR on the reverse (probably the fineness instead).

It will have a smooth edge (not reeded).

Basically the Morgan dollar on an ASE blank.

Probably $40 to $45 and a mintage limit of 75,000 to 100,000.

I am possibly in, but I think a 1971-2021 Ike would be more fun.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpaceMaNy0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds interesting but also like a money grab. Been a lot of that lately. I think they should ditch the fancy crap for a few years and get our regular coinage enviable again.
With all these Barbers around, you'd think I'd have shorter hair.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11048 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me to much of private bullion rounds many of which are cheaper than the likely price, really some actual real Morgans are cheaper than the likely price. I'd really like to see much more creativity from the mint
Valued Member
United States
492 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also think it would probably be nicer to commemorate the birth of a series (ie 1971-2021 for ikes) than the death of the Morgans. If they just did high relief Peace design that would be nice.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3968 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just don't see the need for a medal such as this one.

If you're a fan of the Morgan dollar design, go purchase an attractive example of the actual coin. There are many affordable dates.

I believe that coin designs on medals should be limited to those designs that are difficult/impossible to acquire (for most collectors) in their original coin form. If the Mint were to issue pattern/rejected design versions of previous coins I'd be a supporter. If they wanted to issue medal versions of incredible rarities from the 18th century or early 19th century, I'd go along. But issuing a medal with the design of one of the most commonly available US coins just doesn't excite me.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't get the point of this either, seems like something any private mint could do (and are doing), and there are original coins available in great condition for not much more than that.

If they were to make gold versions like they did a couple of years ago for the 1916 coins, that would be different (but even then, not everyone would appreciate them).
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  2:19 pm  Show Profile   Check BadDog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not for me, as I don't collect medals. Though from what I've read, the Mint has been pleased with the response it has received to its Ag medal offerings and is looking to expand them. This is one that they're considering. This Coin World article mainly about a potential Au Sacagawea coin also discusses this potential medal.
Edited by BadDog
11/06/2018 2:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4268 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kinda high mintage for a medal....would have to think about it more
Pillar of the Community
United States
5590 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took the same survey and said I would not buy any of the options the survey included. I like the originals, but a modern one that just seems to be a another mint money maker is not something that appeals to me at all. I feel they should spend time finding modern artists who can make designs such as these classic dollars instead of most of the modern designs they are producing.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they were to make gold versions like they did a couple of years ago for the 1916 coins, that would be different
I should also mention the survey had a proposed quarter or half ounce gold Sacajawea for its 20th in 2020.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11048 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I should also mention the survey had a proposed quarter or half ounce gold Sacajawea for its 20th in 2020.

I saw that too. That seems like trouble in all honesty. Platinum though could be interesting
Learn More...
United States
62505 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  4:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably right. I think the quarter ounce is too small and the half ounce costs too much.

Platinum could be interesting if only because it is outside the norm and the recent platinum offering seemed to do well.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11048 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  5:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably right. I think the quarter ounce is too small and the half ounce costs too much.

Platinum could be interesting if only because it is outside the norm and the recent platinum offering seemed to do well.

I like platinum to not only be a different color which new gold ones could be a big issue as well as the fact that gold ones do exist for big money. Cost is about the same for Plat and Gold, and it's new and different.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2018  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A gold Sac would be nice (especially the original reverse), keeping the same color but 1/4 would be too small.

As much as I like platinum, and it is cheaper than gold at the moment by about 30%, it is the wrong color -- but that didn't stop them from the gold releases of the classic 1916 designs. The eagle reverse would still be stunning, and you could get 1/2 ounce for a not-too-unreasonable price.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (Bust era), Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1068 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they were coins and not medals I would be all in for the HHL. But since they are medals I see no point in them. I took the survey and I wish they had a comment section so I could voice this opinion, but for some reason they don't want your comments on these medals. If I want an MS Morgan or Peace graded by a TPG, I can pick one up for well under $45. Maybe I will just pick up a 21 Morgan and a 21 Peace PCGS slabbed coins instead of wasting my money on medals.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4268 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If they were coins and not medals I would be all in for the HHL. But since they are medals I see no point in them.

Yup....agree
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05