Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1857 FE S7 cherrypick

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  2:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ZenFE99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I love these, makes my 7th S7 in my collection so far. Cherrypicked this bird in the wild :

I'm always scooping up these clashes, and a few months ago had a weird day where an S7, S8, and S9 were all waiting for me in the mailbox on the same day (won different auctions, all arrived on same day).

What would you guys grade and value this at?
Edited by ZenFE99
11/07/2018 2:53 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14146 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats, but this one does have some serious issues.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7213 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In that condition, I wouldn't think very much. A cherry pick is when you get something on the cheap but you never know. Maybe somebody will get caught up in the bidding if you try and flip it.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
29503 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats (I guess), but must agree, pretty nasty looking.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6806 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting variety, but has low eye appeal.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4358 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2018  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The $20 clash. Cool and Congrats

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ZenFE99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, and she certainly isn't a top shelf example, but hey,,,, isn't she lovely? isn't she wonderful?

I consider it a cherrypick as I got an unattributed S7 for a song from a seller that didn't know what they had.

There are plenty of worse examples out there, and while not my best one, it's certainly not my worst. Bad pic I took, but the clash is very clear in hand, except that little line that shows up between the 18 and 57 in the date.
Edited by ZenFE99
11/08/2018 09:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1145 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit beat up, but a nice cherrypick anyway!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7213 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  10:23 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a neat find but 153 bucks is a bit much. The trick is to find em in great condition.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ZenFE99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did I out bid you? :)
I prowl on the bay a bit, and considering what other examples go for (and in far worse condition),,,it's not bad. If I was concerned with price the other 3 in the lot could be considered as part of that amount, making it less.
A great condition S7,,,won't come cheap.
I have one that is super low VG slabbed, very ugly (like the ones on Ebay going for much more). The other 5 are (imo) a step or two above this one in condition. Do I buy them for condition? No, I love these clashes. I have a problem, an obsession almost, and a massive collection that's 99% FE clashes to prove it :)
Just last week I received my 4th clashed 1857 Quarter (with the cent on the reverse) - $10 gamble off ebay as the pictures were tough, not the greatest, but hey still a rare variety no matter how you slice it. Sellers pic:

HARD to see, but there. Most people might not be interested because of the condition, but I think it's cool.

I don't buy to flip, I may sell one day, but it's not in the cards now.
Since I don't buy based on condition, grading isn't really my strength, and was wondering what grade this might receive? - just for my own knowledge. (edit, condition/grade of the Cent)
Edited by ZenFE99
11/08/2018 10:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
7213 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  11:52 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I didn't bid, just looked it up to see what you paid. Flip the other 3 coins and that's what you paid. I used to do that too but I quickly realized that they aren't worth what I thought when it came time to sell them. Now I look for varieties in great condition. I do buy some crusty coins just for my own collection. You did a good job cleaning it up.
Edited by 52Raymo
11/08/2018 12:00 pm
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ZenFE99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right on.
Ya, was hoping to score all of them for 60'ish, but someone else saw it too.
The others from that lot will go in my 'Normo' (boring) box of FEs.

I've got some XF/AU examples of the S8 and S9, and piles of VG/G/F examples (it's a sickness). Maybe one day I'll trade my horde for a handful of MS examples and call it a day, and having just found out I'm going to be a father for the time,,,, that day might be sooner than I thought!

edit - not cleaned up, just as it was sent to me. I never clean them, just try to preserve.
edit edit - seller's orig pic:

Edited by ZenFE99
11/08/2018 12:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7213 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well you did a good job "conserving" it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05