Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Usb microscope, not quite sure why people would bye them

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Australia
19 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  05:44 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Schoza to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey all, I have read a few articals on the best usb microscopes to bye in Australia and I dont get why people recommend 2mp usb when majority of people have phones that have 8mp+ cameras in there phones. Our phones r powerful and if u know how to utilise your phones power, why would u bye or recommend overseas garbage when u have what u need in your hands. There is a lot of software out there that u can use to turn your phone into a webcam or pc camera u just have to do your homework and if u are a noodler then searching should b right up your alley lol.u could try things like putting a magnifying glass in front of your phones camera, make a slide rail using t-slot aluminum extrusion and line your coins up to easily search, so many possibilities.
Hope this helps

Bedrock of the Community
United States
24369 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  06:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you post a few close up pics of coins,DDO or a RPM using your phone please?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very hard to take that kind of closeup with a cell phone camera without some type of external aid. If I need that kind of closeup I have a small lens that I broke out from a laser pointer that I tape over the cell phone camera lens. It captures a lot of detail.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6880 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Scopes are also used for coin roll hunting with the image showing up on your Flat screen monitor, and one click and you have a picture to post.. Try to replicate these with your phone and a magnifying glass....

This is with a 2mp scope (35$)

"I have enough money to last me the rest of my life, unless I have to buy something."

Working on a Dansco 8166 Kennedy half album. 131pcs ,of 160 total, so far
Edited by Mark1959
11/08/2018 11:30 am
Formerly nancyc
Australia
4861 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All my post 2011 images have been taken with my USB. As far as I know it's 2MB.

I have a stronger one somewhere, but it's an absolute nightmare to use as it's just way too sensitive.

I don't even own/have a mobile, so IMO there's no comparison to be made at all.

If I did have a phone, taking piccies with it would be impossible, as my hands shake too much, so other aspects have to be taken into consideration.

A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Australia
19 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schoza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok please dont think I'm having a go at anyone here for there choices, my motivation for my post is simple, "pay it forward", I have learn alot from this site and this is my way of contributing. I wont attack anyone for negative posts but hopefully they will delete them once they see what have to bring to the table.
Here is a pic of a slide rail that I made today so I can quickly examine coins.

jafo50, u r exactly right, u need to add a lens or 2 so u can use your phone as a microscope.
I will add some pics soon, I have an old nokia with a 5mp camera but do u think I can find a charger for it, hahaha
Bedrock of the Community
United States
24369 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well,so far these two pics are nice and clear.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19542 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wont attack anyone for negative posts but hopefully they will delete them once they see what have to bring to the table.

I see no negative posts here. I see posts that disagree with you but nothing negative.

Also, please stop with the instant message speak in your posts and spell out your words.
Pillar of the Community
United States
994 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  08:52 am  Show Profile   Check 999fine's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 999fine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nevol. Regarding shaky hands. My Android cell has a voice command shutter which I find quite useful.
Coins were meant to be spent.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These were taken of an IHC using my cell phone and an external lens. So it can be done with a little patience. Not the best option but certainly doable.

Australia
19 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schoza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres 1 I just took with my samsung s8 of a 2016 5 cent without any lense.

The hardest part was getting the lighting right, but I still think I can improve the quality even more by setting up a photo booth and researching different lighting setups, maybe dispersing or displacing the light.
The app I used "cosy magnifier"
Also a benefit of using your phone is that your not restricted to 1 area and if you have a smart tv you can use screen mirroring.
Edited by Schoza
11/09/2018 7:48 pm
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Timposvar to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HI old man need usb. But I did take the lens from DVD and one from CD player but found that the top lens from a binoculars works best. Set it on a roll of tape and turn video light on. With coin in center on tape roll but I still use headset with loop and 250 glasses. Peace. Tim
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19542 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Heres 1 I just took with my samsung s8 of a 2016 5 cent without any lense.

Sorry, but that's not a good pic. Very blurry.
Australia
19 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Schoza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your contribution bobby131313, not quite sure what your points is though, be nice if you could follow the topic conversation.
Cheers
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19542 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'm dead on topic.

Quote:
Hey all, I have read a few articals on the best usb microscopes to bye in Australia and I dont get why people recommend 2mp usb when majority of people have phones that have 8mp+ cameras in there phones. Our phones r powerful and if u know how to utilise your phones power, why would u bye or recommend overseas garbage when u have what u need in your hands.

You posted this topic wondering why people by USB cameras because cell phones are better. I'm pointing out that your cell phone pics used for demonstration are bad and can't hold a candle to the USB camera pics posted here. So please explain to me how I can't follow the conversation?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1430 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you could take detailed close up pics like the one below with a 8mp cell phone then go for it! My iPad 5th generation has an 8mp camera and takes beautiful pics of whole coins but when it comes down to detailed closeups, your not going to beat a USB microscope.

Edited to add: this pic was taken with a Celestron 5mp digital microscope. It retails for around $100 but well worth it in my opinion.

My goal in life is to live forever, so far so good!

If you don't want to regret your past, don't screw up in the future because the future, inevitably, becomes the past!
Edited by Tootallious
11/09/2018 11:49 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05