Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Roman coin help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  2:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Frogman2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm a big collector for "junk" U.S. silver and foreign silver coins. I recently just purchased this at I have no idea if it's legit real Roman coin. It sounds exactly like silver if that helps. Thx!

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8734 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Frogman2000, I can tell you that it definitely isn't from ancient Rome as it more looks to be from the Kingdom of England roughly from the 13th-14th Century. With that said, the design on your piece looks off and so I suspect foul play. I will see if I can figure out what it is trying to be.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Legends look like gibberish to me ... but I've been wrong before (happens every other day or so).

Obverse has IMP like a HRE coin, CIV like a municipal issue.

Should look more gothic than it does.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7297 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if this is a fantasy, or perhaps some other sort of imitative issue. The reverse has some semblance to an Edward voided long cross / three pellets issue, the obverse bust is also vaguely of that era, but the legends are inscrutable. My attempted reading is ". MA . IMPR . CIV . / . M ." obverse and "ML (wedge) B / PH (saltire/cross) / . III / (C/G?)I(D?)" reverse. This would seem to rule out most of the usual "king/queen name and title" - "moneyer and/or mint-city" type hammered coins.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Edited by paralyse
11/08/2018 9:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1113 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  06:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree.

There is also the issue of the style of the lettering with the era the rest of the coin is trying to imitate. The modern M and C are inconsistent with the reasonably well executed Gothic A. That style portrait was last seen on English coins with only the Gothic lettering (circa 1500) if I'm not mistaken.

Still, it's an interesting piece (in a kind of "made you look"! way).
Edited by tdziemia
11/09/2018 06:15 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05