Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 S (LMC) Questions about the date

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  9:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Bartolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

I drew out the lines in in the date that I'm questioning. Just trying to get a fell for what they are?
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Photos can be a bit tough to interpret, but could be something going on there. Not too different looking than WDDO-002 although the die scratches don't match and the mint mark may be a bit too far west. Looking at the top corners of TRUST to see if anything is going on there would be useful.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  10:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bartolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

To me it looked like machining but on the date it looks like there's a "flap" of metal over the base of the zero. and a line up the base of the seven.
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing good going on there at TRUST, so there is that. Honestly can't say for sure what's going on with the date, but try putting a couple layers of tissue or something over your light to create a diffuser and cut the glare. Maybe something pops out, maybe it doesn't. Looks like a nice coin either way.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bartolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good Call. Thanks for the tip.
Learn More...
United States
13404 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2018  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should include the date, mintmark, and the denomination in your titles.

Why Topic Titles are Important

The title of your topic is very important. Let's say you need help attributing an 1896 Morgan Dollar....

• Horrendous: Help!

• Bad: Need help with coin

• Better: Need help with Morgan Dollar

• Good: Need help with 1896 Morgan Dollar

• Awesome: Need help with VAM on 1896 Morgan Dollar

This enables the members with expertise pertaining to your question to easily find and answer your question. The title of the topic also becomes the title of the topic's web page, which enables us to attract more collectors to the site. The more members we have, the more we learn.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32771 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I couldn't find a match on the sites for this die yet. I need to make a side by side to see if the devices are enlarged or not. So keep it safe for now.

Looks like a bit of doubling on the '7' and possibly the 'O'. So I would get a better image of just that area and any other areas where doubling could happen. Then Submit it to John Wexler and see what he thinks. The notches on the '7' are real convincing, but the spread is not huge.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
11/09/2018 4:57 pm
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bartolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!! How cool. I just thought I was seeing things... Holy crap!! I knew something was up when it didn't get resolved right away.
This could be big.... How do I submit it to John Wexler? Sorry this is a first for me. LMAO! Not actually even having a doubled die just someone saying I might. hahahahaha
Any Idea if its the real deal what it might be worth? Honestly, I couldn't even wager a guess.

Thanks so much. I'll get the pics done today.
Pillar of the Community
United States
878 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  10:48 am  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If accepted and listed as a new doubled die by Wexler, it would be WDDO-054. As in, there are already 53 known doubled dies for 1970-S making it one of the years with rather a lot of them (Tanman found the last one so big congrats to him!). That tends to lower the value of any particular one. It could be expected that your coin, if accepted and used as the plate coin on the website, would value around $25 although understand that is a guess based on selling a lot of cud plate coins not DDO plate coins. The value goes up a bit if he gives it "best of" label.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
32771 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But it maybe a case of MD altering the digits on the date? So don't get your hopes up too high yet.
http://www.doubleddie.com/1801.html
His email address is on the lower part of the home page.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05