Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Kingdom Of Poland Coins By Monarch 1587 - 1795

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 150 / Views: 11,636Next Topic
Page: of 10
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  09:31 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdziemia, great post! Completely agree with You!
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Learn More...
United States
18202 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple Groschen from Poland (both Krackow mint). The first is dated 1606 AD and is attributed as Kopicki 780 while the second is dated 1607 AD and attributed as Kopicki 781.

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2018  08:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad you have coins form the decade of the 1600s under this reign, also covering different types and mints (by 1606 and 1607 Polish groats are only minted in Krakow, as the other mints like Poznan, Olkusz, Lublin had shut down)

I have some from 1620s I still need to photograph.

As expected, lots of contributions for this reign!
Learn More...
United States
18202 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2018  05:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple of Schillings from Livonia (Riga mint) issued under the authority of Sig III. The first is dated 1616 AD and attributed as Kopicki 8154 while the other is dated 1620 AD and attributed as Kopicki 8164. Both have seen better days, with significant encrustation on the 1620.

-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Edited by Spence
11/15/2018 05:56 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2018  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the first page of the thread, SquireWilson posted an ort (also seen as orte = 1/4 thaler) of Sigismund III. A thaler was valued between 60 and 80 groszy in the early 1620s (ref. Gumowski), making the ort a 15 to 20 groat coin. It's just a bit smaller than a U.S. half dollar, and weighs 6.5 to 7g, so a bit lighter than testons elsewhere in Europe at the same time.
This type was first issued in Gdansk/Danzig in 1608, and Bydgoszcz/Bromberg in 1618. By the 1620s there must have been a very large number being issued, as they show up nearly everywhere that 17th century European coins are for sale, usually at modest prices. Probably the ort would be considered THE representative coin of this reign, though the proliferation of trojak types earlier in the reign makes them interesting to collectors as well (at least to me!).
The Gdansk design is a bust, and the Bydgoszcz design a half-length portrait. The Gdansk design is stronger, and it's easier to find attractive coins with a lot of detail, whereas the Bydgoszcz design seems to have worn down more easily.
Here is a Gdansk ort from 1623, slightly different bust than Squire's 1621:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4560 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  08:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info and nice looking coin!
Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, scopru!
Here is my example of the Bydgoszcz/Bromberg ort, dated 1624:

Learn More...
United States
18202 Posts
 Posted 11/17/2018  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a quad of 3 Polkers from Poland (Bydgosszcz mint) dated 1620, 1621, 1622, and 1623 AD. The attributions are Kopicki 856, 858, 860, and 862, respectively.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4560 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins folks

Member: ANA and NGC
My Want list: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Between the poltoraks of spence and giedrius the 1610s and 1620s are nicely covered. Including a variety of privy marks at the bottom reverse.

In particular, the last two poltoraks posted by giedrius a few posts back have the polkozic, a coat of arms with the head of a donkey used by the last crown treasurer under SIgismund III, Hermann Ligeza. I've taken the liberty of cropping giedrius' photo and highlighting this feature:

Also, here are the NGC census populations of the three types we've seen a lot:
Sig III trojaks - 1050
Sig III orts (1/4 thaler) - 750
Sig III poltoraks - 350

Not sure whether those figures represent collector interest, the number of surviving examples in high grade, or a combination, but I found them interesting.

And speaking of grading, if you'd like to see some mouthwatering Polish coins from the 16th and 17th centuries, check the Rzeszowski catalog for next weekend's auction. (I count about 75% of the coins between 1500 and 1700 slabbed by the U.S. grading firms).
Learn More...
United States
18202 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tdz, can you please post a link to that auction? I'm already over budget for this year, but it would be fun to drool a little bit.

In the meanwhile, here is a trio of Groschen multiples from Poland. I thought it might be fun to compare the diameter and weight of the 1 Groschen dated 1623 AD (19 mm and 0.7 g) to the 3 Groschen dated 1623 AD (20 mm and 1.9 g) to the 6 Groschen dated 1626 AD (25 mm and 3.8 g). The attributions are Kopicki 809, 1228, and 1264, respectively.

-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First some info on the coins
The 1623 coins bear the Sas, an emblem with arrow, half moon and two stars that was used by crown treasurer Nikolaus Danilowicz from 1616 to 1624.
The later coin has the polkozic mentioned earlier.

According to Gumowski, the Munzkommission of 1623 specified these weights and purities:
Ort 7.06 g,, 68%
6 groschen 3.95 g., 46%
3 groschen 1.97 g,, 46%
Groschen 1.03 g., 28%

So the groschen would be expected to have a greater than 1:3 weight ratio to the 3 groschen piece due to its lower purity

The link: https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=sale&sid=2870

Learn More...
United States
18202 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the Sas, an emblem with arrow, half moon and two stars

Ok interesting. I had assumed that it was an anchor.
-----Ghanaian proverb

-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
21767 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4161 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
Ok interesting. I had assumed that it was an anchor.

I wasn't quite sure, so I looked it up
This one (lower right reverse), the emblem of Chalecki, who was mintmaster in the Lithuania mint 1590-98 looks even more like an anchor (recent auction win, not yet received)
Edited by tdziemia
11/18/2018 3:04 pm
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 150 / Views: 11,636Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05