Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Just For Laughs-A US Gold Coin Replica

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,592Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4268 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  9:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If this is not an appropriate forum, mods please move.

This was issued by "The Burton Mint".

It weighs 0.25 grams and is touted to be 10K gold.

So this would be 0.0033 troy oz, actually about $4 of gold.

It is touted as follows on the COA "this exquisite solid 10 karat gold miniature is an authentic replica of the new 1986 American Eagle $50 gold coin".

Does anyone know what this was sold for in 1986? Does anyone else have another of their exquisite creations?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
20394 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad I can say no.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That "coin" is so bad it doesn't even need the word "copy" on it.
Learn More...
United States
20832 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone else have another of their exquisite creations?

Looks like products of The Burton Mint has come up only one other time of CCF:

http://goccf.com/t/96280
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Learn More...
United States
104611 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If this is not an appropriate forum, mods please move.
I moved it to the NCLT forum since that is where an authentic one would be posted.
Rest in Peace
United States
1559 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2018  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tootallious to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That "coin" is so bad it doesn't even need the word "copy" on it.

Seriously, why would anyone even put in the effort if that is the end result!
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Papadoc75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why but this reminds me of something you would see on an episode of Gumby.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4268 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, the general consensus is that "exquisite" is a little overstated?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4562 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2018  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whew that is truly a unique example.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6531 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mini "American Eagle Gold Coin" was sold for $10 plus $2.00 postage and handling - a total of $12. The original order form for the piece, as published in various newspapers at the time, indicated that quantities of up to ten could be ordered without increasing the P/H charge of $2.00; for example, the priced for 10 of the medals was listed as $100 plus $2.00 postage. California residents had to add local sales tax.

The piece came with a six-month 100% money back guarantee. I imagine that when some folks received their piece(s) and realized just how small they were, they took advantage of the return policy!

I don't have access to mine at the moment, but I don't recall it being as mushy and lacking in detail as the one presented by oriole. I'll post images of my piece when I can. I bought it as a novelty a couple of years back - I recall paying less than $10 for it.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
11/12/2018 12:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4268 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commems, in 1986 the price of gold was about 1/3 of what it is today. $1.30 worth in that piece So at the original issue price is was quite a poor investment in gold.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6531 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So at the original issue price is was quite a poor investment in gold.

No doubt about it!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22811 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2018  4:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, and a really bad copy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1193 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2018  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow...a third grade art class project?
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There are no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,592Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05