Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Camera Lens Reflection For Proof Coins.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 991Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  08:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I started photographing some proof coins to sell on ebay, and I was getting a full camera reflection on the coin. This is especially bad because the camera I am using is a red canon powershot (mounted to a microscope stand). I placed an index card over the lens with a hole cut out, and that improved things greatly, but I still get a black square reflection on the coin. I tried moving the camera further away, and it improved a bit more, but still not great. I tried taking angled shots, but that affects the focus on the coin.

Any ideas on how to combat this perhaps with lighting?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just watched a video on axial lighting. If that's what it takes, then I'll just stick with having the reflection.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3497 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing that has worked for me is to expand the field of vision such that the coin does not fill the full picture. Then you can take the picture with the coin off center and crop it later. Imagine a box with four quadrants and you photograph the coins so that it only fills one of the four quadrants. Most cameras have plenty of resolution / pixels to allow you to crop and really not lose much for most situations.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1850 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stoneman227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make sure your lighting is below the level of the camea so that the camera will not have illumination from that source. Next. Eliminate any reflective areas below the coin and well to the sides , black cloth covering you work surfaceshould work well. Also , eliminate all other light sources by cutting off room lights ans taking the pics at night.
As reflective as a proof coin is, it can only reflect the light that falls on it. The above precautions should put the camera in the dark and remove the problem reflections
Edited by stoneman227
11/11/2018 12:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8661 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2018  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For brilliant proofs, about the only way I can get decent pics is with diffuse axial lighting. For frosted proofs, I usually shoot them two ways: (1) diffuse axial lighting, for a brightfield effect with darker devices, or (2) lighting at an angle low enough so that nothing reflects off the mirrored fields, but the frosted devices are still illuminated, for a darkfield effect.

If you have a tilt/shift lens or bellows, you can simulate axial lighting by bouncing direct light off the coin at an angle, directly into the lens. If you don't tilt the coin, this is a variation of the method in the last post (I've only done this once or twice). If you do tilt the coin, you need to fiddle with the "Scheimpflug angles" to keep the whole coin in focus (I've never tried this).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2018  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
KenKat. I don't know why I didn't think of off-center and crop. That should be super easy to try.

Stoneman. I'll try that. It does make sense that if the camera is dark, it shouldn't show up in the reflection. My setup does involve having the lights below the camera, but I had a white background, so that probably reflected and illuminated the camera. I'll try at night with a dark background. Easy enough to try.

Pepactonius. Dude, you are way over my head. I won't be trying any of that, but I will strive to work the term "Scheimpflug angles" into casual conversation someday.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1817 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jadey this is what Pepactonius is talking about light angles. camera plus lens directly over top of the coin. aim light in on coin at low angles with direct light. ps dont be afraid of light its your best friend. when it comes to these coins. here is what he is talking about.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1817 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jadey here is the photo s

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a really nice photo. I've tried the low angles, but I still get the reflection of the camera lens.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 991Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05