Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

OK To Store In This Wooden Box?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
493 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  10:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across this cool box to store some of my Romans. But then I remembered wood is a no no. Has anyone stored ancients in wood or is this an urban legend?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2499 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some kinds of wood are OK. Others are not good. I don't remember what the good ones are.
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe mahogany is ok.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11503 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe just me, but I'd be more concerned about the adhesive that was used to affix the black felt onto the wood. Here are a cool earlier threads on this general topic--we seem to be somewhat split on the subject:

http://goccf.com/t/140128
http://goccf.com/t/69108
http://goccf.com/t/146315
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1509 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks like a fantastic box for storing Romans. I think the concern with wood is that the environment might cause toning on uncirculated coins, but I wouldn't think that would be a problem with ancients.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16844 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its a nice looking box. I prefer anything air tight or nearly for storing coins though.
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking of possibly making the holes a bit bigger to accommodate capsules. I like storing my favs in them, easy to take out when I want to hold a bit of history.

CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
391 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You gonna match the emperors on the front of the box for the spot inside the box? That would be quite a challenge!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
88 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FlaviusJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Traditionally rose wood was the go to cabinet material, however modern conservators shy away from using anything organic.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4142 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is indeed usually more in the felt and the glue, but some woods will cause a fair bit of chemical change. That looks like plywood - a no-no in my books. You can bypass the issue by isolating the coins from the wood in airtites as suggested, or you can treat the wood.

The real problem with the box is that you'd be hard pressed to get all the emperors shown on top - a Uranius Antoninus coin will set you back $1k on its own.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16844 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Putting the coin in capsules then in the box is a good solution.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
36764 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, but you don't have much room to enlarge these holes.
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2018  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No I don't have much room there, I don't think it can be done with existing piece of wood. I bought it anyway, maybe I can do something with it or just go without capsules. The holes are only 22mm. In any case if anyone is interested this guys makes them and sells on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AWESOME-Ha...vP:rk:1:pf:0
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5579 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clodius Macer? Vindix? Jotapian? That's just plain mean.

It's a neat idea, but the holes would drive me crazy. A full box would almost certainly run upwards of "new sports car" expensive, at which point would you really want them in a box you have to open to look at?
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Valued Member
United States
493 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2018  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just an update, I canceled the order. I felt so bad because, he gave me a deep discount after telling him I was going to use it in my classroom. But yes Finn, the 2 factors that made me reconsider was the holes are too small and unless I hit the lottery, I would never be able to afford some of the emperors. But it gave me a pretty good idea as to how to make one.

I've done coin cleaning projects with my students, but we always end up with coins from the Constantinian era. This box wouldn't help much in displaying them.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5579 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the box a bit more closely:
1) You would actually be hard-pressed to find a sub-22mm coin of any emperor between Philip I and Gallienus; Denarii of those emperors are exceedingly rare, and antoninianii at least through and including Decius are usually over 23mm. The only other option are provincials (also usually larger) and sestertii.
2) Speaking of those emperors, an entire row is missing! The box doesn't have Decius, Herennia Etruscilla, Herennius Etruscus, Hostilian, Trebonianus Gallus, Volusian, Aemilian, Cornelia Suprera (Ha!), Valerian, Mariniana... and while we're at it, it skips over Marius and Victorinus, and also skips over Tacitus and Florian straight from Severina to Probus? And why does it have uber-rare Jotapian but not Macrianus or Quietus, who are actually affordable?
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05