Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1974 D Kennedy Half Dollar - Does Envirmental Damage Effect Weight?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 579Next Topic  
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  4:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JKeyes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello I was looking through a box of half dollars and this coin left me stumped on how weird the toning is long with the weight. Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this coin?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
33647 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can if some of the metal has been eaten away. Your coins seems to be within mint tolerance.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JKeyes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Within mint tolerance" explain?
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JKeyes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was also wondering what exactly is going on with this coin. Is it from outside damage, a wrong or missing planchet? The rim is the same tone as the coin all around.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33647 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Each denomination has a +/- of a few grams eg a cent is .13 grams. I don't know what it would be for a half.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33647 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is from out of doors damage, environmental damage from being buried.
John1
Learn More...
United States
16096 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Halves 4 grains +/- .26 grams

Compliments of @Halo1st:

http://goccf.com/t/280621

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2143 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI, the reference I found, copied and pasted back then has some discrepancies or typos.

Later found the actual 2011 Coin World Almanac specs for Half Dollars to read as follows:

1971 to date (excluding bicentennial 40% silver clad)
Composition: 75 Cu. 25 Ni on pure Cu
Weight: 11.340 grams
Tolerance: +/- 0.454 grams

1976 (similar to 1965 - 1970 40% silver clad)
Composition: 40% silver clad
Weight: 11.500 grams
Tolerance: +/- 0.400 grams

Thanks, Doug.

PS: I'm debating removing that old reference pending the original authors advice. Some parts seem by the book while other parts I question.

Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Two sides to every coin. The edge makes three.
Side Note: Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't.
Edited by Halo1st
11/20/2018 9:54 pm
Learn More...
United States
16096 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm debating removing that old reference

Ah sorry for promulgating incorrect numbers.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16546 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2018  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The numbers in the linked tread do have some typos, and they were in reference to specific coins listed in an even earlier thread. Since I can't change the typos it might be best to pull the reference. But I will once again offer to send anyone that wants it a PDF of the tolerances from the 2011 edition of the Coin World Almanac (No typos in it, it's from the book) Just drop me an email.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 579Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05