Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mercury Dime 1943 D Split Band

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2018  8:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nickelback to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all

I purchased this Mercury dime minted in Denver Year 1943.
Now I'm curios if this coin could be a FSB (full split band) or just a SB (Split band). So the FSB has roundet bands on the corners the normal split band has just splitted but not round on the corners, what you think?
And could someone say me the grading of this coin, its clear mint state but which number maybe 67?
Thanks.

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2018  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelback to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here better photo of the reverse.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2018  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The center double band leads me to call it a full split band. A solid MS66 at that. Nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8455 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  02:49 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I understand, FSB and FB are the same thing, just different terms used by different companies. In this case, the pics may show an FSB/FB coin. I'll leave the ultimate decision to the graders.

I am not familiar with SB (Split Bands) as a designation. Can you get clear closeups of the bands?
Such Oxygen!

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9373 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-67 FSB .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17188 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll say MS-67 FSB

just carl
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelback to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey thanks Ballyho, T-BOP . It would be great if this coin is a full split band (roundet corners/edges).
The grading of the coin is always challenging I see it more as a MS-67 FSB, because only minor imperfections.
What you think ist this coin worth?

Quote:
From what I understand, FSB and FB are the same thing, just different terms used by different companies. In this case, the pics may show an FSB/FB coin. I'll leave the ultimate decision to the graders.

I am not familiar with SB (Split Bands) as a designation. Can you get clear closeups of the bands?

spruett thanks too. No they are not. Split band is flat butt fully splitted, full split band has rounder bands foremost on the edges and of course fully splitted.
I will take a better closet photo of the dime, when I look close I can see the roundings on the bands.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7239 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  09:45 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as I know there's no such thing as SB. FSB or FB designations are just what PCGS and NGC came up with. I wish they would just pick one and go with it.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
7379 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2018  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FSB and FB mean the same thing. I'd say MS-66 FB on this one.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small gouge at 11 o'clock on the obverse might hold back the MS67 and possibly the MS66 designations. Submit it and see what comes back. Beautiful coin though.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30268 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must agree, and there are a couple of other apparent scuffs in the left obverse field as well. I'd have to say 65FSB.
Edited by Coinfrog
12/06/2018 10:48 am
Valued Member
United States
315 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin nickelback!

To help answer this question regarding "split bands" / "full bands", here is a page from The Complete Guide to Mercury dimes by David W. Lange.

I think the key sentence here is, Although purists may consider this to be an example of simply "split bands", the marketplace generally accepts this degree of separation as representing "full bands".

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9373 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me , I would not call the center photo Split Bands . Maybe it's just me .
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...0-ccfopt.jpg
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17188 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All just certain people's ideas of what is what. For me I think FSB is FSB. Flat, rounded, almost, full and on and on are just interpretations. For my all FSB set of Mercury dimes as long as I can see the split in the middle band, it goes into my set. Next someone will start about how many feathers are on the Obverse head.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05