Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Risk/Reward When Buying Photogenic Vs Unphotogenic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  03:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
We've all been there!

"Why can't I get this stupid coin to look like it does inhand!!?"

It usually ends with the frustrating acceptance that some coins are simply NOT photogenic.

If you're one those who frequently bid at auctions, you already know that this phenomenon creates a double edged sword.

In most cases, coins that are photogenic tend to get bid up to levels that hammer well above retail.

On the other end of the spectrum, from my experience, unphotogenic coins tend to sell around CDN.

So my poll question is which strategy do you prefer that you feel will pan out better in the long run?

Poll Choices
  I payup for photogenic coins. I think this strategy will pan out better in the future
  I'm a value guy so I look for the best deal. Paying less wil pan out better in the future
  I've never thought about it ahead of time.
  I only voted to see what others thought

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
12/02/2018 03:53 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10107 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  05:00 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a set preference, but I have noticed that many coins I am interested in have been captured with a scan. This changes everything! Some for good, some for bad. In the end, these coins are a good bet for me because they are better looking in-hand than the scans.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13163 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  07:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only recently started photographing the coins in my collection so the vast majority of them were bought prior to me considering how they would look on film.

Added: by the way, I like your fourth option as it has been my reason for voting in some previous polls.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
12/02/2018 07:37 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12472 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quality and eye appeal are two things that never seem to go out of style. The value buys on more expensive coins can often end up being the worst buys
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18570 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I seldom photograph a coin. Never thought of a coin not being photographical.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
499 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2018  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After looking at coins for most of my life I seem to get them very close to what the photo shows. Or maybe it's just luck. Like most others I'd say 60% of my buys are from EBAY. In which case I read the description carefully and compare it to what I see. Several dealers selling on there have actually shipped coins better than the photograph. On the other end of the spectrum, auction houses are always spot on. Perhaps from professional photography?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We are getting some really good feedback on this one.

I've always been of the mindset that photogenic coins will be always be photogenic. And therefore will continue to command premiums in the future when it comes time to sell. Especially when selling on a picture-based online platform.

While the unphotogenic coins will continue to look ugly in pictures and therefore will continue to sell at CDN in the future.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
12/03/2018 01:24 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1587 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The attractiveness of a coin in a photo depends on the skill of the photographer, so you can sometimes get a good deal on a coin with a bad photo. But I think you're talking about a coin being inherently photogenic, and I would agree that a naturally photogenic coin will always command a premium.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I think you're talking about a coin being inherently photogenic

Zurie,
You are correct with your assumption. Yes it depends on the skill of the photography, but I'm not talking about amateur ebay photos. I'm referring to coins up for auction from the big 5.

How many times have we heard 'it will look better inhand'?

Those are the coins I'm referring to. Some coins simply do not look good in photographs.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05