Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Peace and Liberty UHR Medal

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3981 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  4:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Royal Canadian Mint has struck a new ultra high-relief (UHR) medal co-designed by former US Mint Chief Engraver John Mercanti and former RCM Senior Engraver Susan Taylor.

Per the press release for the medal, it "honors the sacrifices made by veterans of both nations, and the principles for which they fight. Inspiration for this medal comes from Canada's National War Memorial in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, which displays female personifications of Peace and Liberty atop an arch, with 22 World War I soldiers below."

The medal is available in silver (one-ounce and ten-ounce) and gold (one-ounce). Each of the medals has a very limited mintage (3,000 for the one-ounce silver, 500 for the ten-ounce silver and just 200 for the gold).

It doesn't appear the RCM will be selling them directly, however, as they have made an exclusive deal with ModernCoinMart / GovMint.

Rather than repeat all of the extensive information available, here are two links that will give you all the details and images:

Press Release

and

GovMint Promo Page (A nice video is available here.)

I find the designs very attractive - I've placed an order for the one-ounce silver version.

I read on RFD that the designs will be used by the RCM for new legal tender bullion coins starting in 2020. I haven't been able to independently verify this, but the designs would make for an attractive bullion coin if it happens. The RCM might be following the lead of the Perth Mint and its ongoing Wedge-tailed Eagle coins which are also designed by John Mercanti.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2018
Edited by commems
12/03/2018 4:18 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3626 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find the design quite alluring. Thanks for posting.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2133 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2018  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the designs of both sides are excellent. I am tempted to get one but probably will not as it is outside my main collecting area.
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love this medal. Seems the mint has sold their entire mintage to dealers, who have them in the famous PF 70 holders so they can charge plenty for them--as somehow the holders "enhance" the product. I've encountered this with the Bicentennial Victoria 2019 coins but at least there are a few intact sets and some dealers who were will to break them up and give us poor folks a break. LOL Oh well--good luck!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2133 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  06:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot find the asking prices on those links. Does anybody know?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
594 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are very nice. I like the design. It does appear very American-esque. We are paying homage to our overlords?
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
578 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Looney4Numi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The video states "Proof Condition," while the above eBay listings state "Reverse Proof."

Regardless of the hype for this coin, RCM's silver reverse proof coins can develop milk spots.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
528 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2018  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The design is excellent.

Medals are also outside my collecting area, however, I really like it and would be a buyer if RCM produced silver proof NCLT coins using this design.

Cheers!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4145 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2018  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Other than the designers, these are no more collectible than Franklin Mint products
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6441 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2018  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The design is excellent.

Medals are also outside my collecting area, however, I really like it and would be a buyer if RCM produced silver proof NCLT coins using this design.

Cheers!

would agree with this and John's post.

Will wait, when this will appear on bullion coin (read this here or on another forum)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2509 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2018  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Other than the designers, these are no more collectible than Franklin Mint products

Agree. Will be bullion value down the road.

Is there real value to the medals besides the hype from coin dealers?
The hype always remind of stock promoters pushing penny stocks which are basically worthless.
Edited by MoneyPenney
12/10/2018 6:33 pm
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gothic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both of the medal auctions on Ebay were ended abruptly. We'll see if they appear again.

"I read on another forum that the designs will be used by the RCM for new legal tender bullion coins starting in 2020. I haven't been able to independently verify this, but the designs would make for an attractive bullion coin if it happens."

If anyone see a definitive statement from the mint about this please post. I believe that would probably distance these from Franklin :).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05