Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this Constantius Gallus

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4004 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  10:51 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Yes it is not too visible but maybe?

Please feel free to view my Gallery
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10523
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5286 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see diadem ties, and I see a little bit of IVN in the legend, so I'd say so
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Learn More...
United States
21841 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  1:15 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The hair style gives it away, I'd say yes also.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4004 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, any chance of narrowing it down any more?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1674 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  2:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Identifying the mint would be too much of a stretch but the reverse type is a FEL TEMP REPARATIO, Soldier spearing fallen horseman, who is bare headed, reaching backwards

Possibly Sirmium like this one.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4004 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks maridvnvm that's what I have and yes the mint is too hard, boy that one you have sure looks good.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1674 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These have become a recent fascination of mine. Here are a small selection of my Gallus horseman coins.

Alexandria

Antioch

Siscia

Nicomedia
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3900 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That Antioch FEL TEMP must be one of the finest bronze coins minted for the whole period from 330 to the renaissance. The difference in quality between the mints is incredible.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4004 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I've got for those coins is WOW
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was wondering if anyone could figure out this mint?

P.S.
Quote:
That Antioch FEL TEMP must be one of the finest bronze coins minted
Agree that looks like a real Barbarian with the hair, beard and all!
Edited by travelcoin
12/05/2018 9:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
409 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's interesting that on some coins, the fallen horseman is clearly Persian with the characteristic pointed cap while on others, the fallen horseman is a bearded Germanic barbarian. Savvy propagandists, those Romans!
Edited by Kushanshah
12/06/2018 01:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
921 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@travelcoin

I'd be looking at Rome. Possibly in exergue?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1674 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maridvnvm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the Rome mint suggestion for @travelcoin.

I was lucky enough to purchase the Antioch coin above with a nice Constantius II example from the same mint.

The horsemen can be quite varied even within a mint so you get bent arms....

Falling forward but clearly bearded with a pony-tail

I call this on Emperor vs Predator

Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ROME thanks guys!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05