Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1803 Large Cent PCGS

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2185 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2018  11:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would like your opinion and grade on this coin. I am considering buying the coin for my type set.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnjkedel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it .... XF40 maybe 45. small date large fraction
Edited by johnjkedel
12/06/2018 01:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8455 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  01:33 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF-40 max. Probably VF-35. What is going on between the leaves and ED of UNITED on the reverse?
Such Oxygen!

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
2248 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
vf 35 sounds about right
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30266 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see an argument for 40, but I'm at 35. Assuming the actual color is an even brown, this looks like a very special coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35
Pillar of the Community
United States
747 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fayette1800 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say VF 35 as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7379 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF-35, nice example.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Pillar of the Community
United States
1530 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very attractive old copper. I see it just short of 40 as well. I likey!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2185 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the coin. Here is the skinny on the coin. The coin is graded by PGCS at VF30 and sold by seller on 10/20. I contacted the seller about the area near the leaf on the reverse. Here is the seller's comments: "Looks like someone tried to remove some of the dirt in that area and left a little scratch as a result. The coin was in fact returned for that reason. Nice looking piece overall though and it's easy to overlook the minor flaw in hand, in my opinion".

The seller is asking $725 for the coin. Would you make a discount offer or pass on the coin? I can get past the leaf area as the coin appears to be net graded because of the leaf area. All comments welcome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6009 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  7:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is the S-261 small date, large fraction. This variety is better than the more common small date small fraction. Since you are trying to fill a hole in a type set, perhaps choosing the more common variety would run about $500 in the same grade. That would be full freight for a problem free coin. In contrast, this coin is full freight for a scarcer variety with a noticeable problem. In your situation, I would opt for the cheaper, nicer problem-free coin, but it all depends on how you want to build your type set.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7458 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have said VF30, I think PCGS nailed it. It's a lovely example for a type set, and the price is fair.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have over-graded it at a 40 and lost money trying to resell it. You can't win them all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2185 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments. I am going to pass as my type set has all problem free coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8455 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  02:50 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good choice. Despite what the seller says, that defect is most definitely noticeable and you don't wanna look at that for any longer than you have to.
Such Oxygen!

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7458 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  10:10 am  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I would be proud to own that one for my collection. The pluses (sharpness, color, strike, clean fields) more than outweigh a small area of ED or planchet defect on the reverse; you might spend another few years looking for a coin that is this nice and doesn't have a single notable issue, and you're going to pay a good deal more than $750 because there is always high demand for choice, problem-free early dates. In fact, this is much nicer than most of the overgraded junk I see slabbed as "VF30" and I would EAC grade it 30/25 avg+ which is again a notable improvement vs. most "VF30" slabs.

Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05