Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poll for 1859 N9 cent Haxby die pair collectors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  09:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I am always curious about how many people are collecting 1859 N9 cents by Haxby die pair, and how far along they are towards their goal.

So I decided a poll might give a good indication of how much interest there is in collecting them.

This poll is open to everyone, not just CCF members, because I know some people just view posts and never comment (like I did for some time).

If you collect by die pair, please choose the range for the number of different die pairs you have in your collection.

If you want to comment about how you got started and how long you have been collecting them, that would be welcome.

Thanks for helping out!

Poll Choices
 0-25
 26-50
 51-75
 76-100
 101-125
 126-150
 151-175
 176-200
 201-225
 226-248

Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1374 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I started collecting them Feb 2014 and with the help of my Canadian friend have 52 different die pairs and 15 extra of different die states.
Not many at all
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
2081 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Randy .... check your email for a surprise.
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got it Bill. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2081 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those of you not privy to our email exchange, I will be sending 700-1000 1859's on loan to him for his study. Maybe there will be some scarce 'vanilla" coins that haven't been found yet. This will take place in the Spring, so don't think that you've heard the last from Hax and Phil..
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you get them all Don. I bet you already have more than any other collector in New Zealand! It's a little tougher finding them there.
Canada
36 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few years ago I had to approach 125 die pairs (I know it's not much compared to some other people).

However, in 2014-2015 I made the decision to reduce the quantity of pieces in my collection to increase the overall quality. Thus, for the 1 cent 1859, I sold almost all those below grade «VF-30». As a result, currently I have about 25 x 1 cent 1859 N9 from various die pair.

But I don't regret my choice. It allows me to appreciate the remaining coins more.

*Sorry for my English
Edited by ainsivalavie
12/06/2018 10:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1374 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope you get them all Don. I bet you already have more than any other collector in New Zealand! It's a little tougher finding them there.

Thanks Phil310

But not in my life time
Just counted and I have approx 350 large cents 1858-1920
Not bad for down under
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ainsivalavie, I still have a number of low grade coins in my collection.

Some die pairs are tough in any grade, so I decided early on to get any die pair I didn't have in any grade as long as the price was reasonable. Every collector has their own standards and goals. "Quantity" was my goal in the beginning, but now I'm trying to upgrade to "Quality" pieces if I can.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1310 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As mentioned before I don't really collect by he Haxby die pairs but I do purchase many 59's in the past and present looking for other varieties they offer and as a result I have paired close to 100 die pairs.

I made a habit of trying to identify the coin by the Haxby website and mark the die pair that I think the coin is on the 2x2 holder that I put them in, as well it helps me identify the 1859 variety I'm looking for its a very helpful site in many ways. I have traded 59 Haxby die pairs that are harder to find to other collectors for other varieties in the Canadian Large Cents
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1530 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Check gidjit's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add gidjit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it looks like I have 91 die pairs so far.....

Quote:
Just counted and I have approx 350 large cents 1858-1920

thats awesome, I'm getting there too.i have alsomt 80 1858's nowi keep buying collections but have been too lazy to sell off the common stuff
please check out my collection of large cents from 1858 - 1920 (under construction)
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...l=4b87156114
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  11:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have almost 80 1858's now

That's a lot of 1858's gidjit!

Do you have most of the die pairs for those?

I have exactly one 1858 for my date set. Guess I'll stick to the 1859's. Can't afford to collect them both.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7446 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have two 1859's, both narrow/low 9 variety, the one I got today has die crack bisecting the C in CANADA and from the outermost leaf across from CENT going to the rim.

Long way from the Canadians but down here in Texas they're a bit harder to find than north of the border ;)
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1374 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have exactly one 1858 for my date set. Guess I'll stick to the 1859's. Can't afford to collect them both.

I can't either but I do have 3 1858's
this is 1 of them
http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins...859#erreur-7
Cheers Don

Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few 1858's and W9/8's.
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted Today  3H 20M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a few 1858's and W9/8's.

Wish I had a few like your few. I'm starting to work on the W9's a little. I've got the book already (a must for anyone interested in the W9's), and 6 die pairs.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05