Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this a 1959 D (LMC) double die

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  11:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Chellebaby to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
*** Edited by Staff to Add Year / Mintmark / Denomination to Title. Titles are Important! ***

Hi I'm new to all this but I fell in love quick and I have a few error coins but I want to know if I found a 1959 double die? I cant find anything on Google about it really
Im sorry I cant figure out hiw to post these pjcs
Edited by Chellebaby
12/06/2018 11:48 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14855 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.
Can you post photos so that we may see what you are looking at?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
30266 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, please!

to the CCF!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33312 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Most new ones come here with the idea they have a doubled die, but the fact is that most of the time they are not, but common Machine Doubling. Here is what to look for on a machine doubled coin:

Not the affected area is flat, shelf like. That is because after the strike the the make clipped over and hit these devices. What was a normal strike was altered afterwards reducing the size of the devices. The contour is not removed from the edge of the devices affected and is not a doubled die. A doubled die had the doubling on the die, that enlarges the devices. Take a look at these images:

Note the reduction/normal/enlarged devices with the last one showing die doubling on the right?
Here are a few more examples of the reduction from the normal size devices:

A true doubled die will have the devices enlarged, not reduced:

So when you get some images to post, then we can determine what you have for sure.
Welcome to the forum.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eye4Error to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This community is a good place to start!

I just started up last spring... my dad passed down his collection, and suddenly I found a whole new world of coins :)

I really enjoy it... brings out my investigative side ;) You will learn a lot here... there is a lot to know!

But when you do start to understand what to look for... it is like winning a lottery! It feels amazing when you find something relevant.

Have fun!
Learn More...
United States
63481 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7379 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Learn More...
United States
13518 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the tutorial about uploading and posting images

And here is the CCF Free Image Optimizer to help crop your images.
And please preview your post/pictures to be sure the images are rotated correctly.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05