Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Identifying Old Coin Possibly Silver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add FenTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone help in identifying this coin? It may be silver and was tarnished. It's 28mm diameter and weighs about 12g (kitchen scales!)

Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  12:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Token India Ram Darbar Temple Ramatanka (Fakes are possible).
One online site says modern reproductions can go for $60 but a genuine could go for $420
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FenTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Albert. I'm amazed that you identified it so quickly.
Learn More...
United States
63411 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just chance.
I happen to be sitting at my desktop pc and this page is one that I usually check to see what has been posted.

These are easy to find online. Search for images or all for Temple Tokens and many will pop up. Online sources have much to see and read about them.
Edited by Albert
12/06/2018 3:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2164 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2018  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please also see this current thread:
http://goccf.com/t/334442
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  09:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FenTiger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comments. Fascinating to read about it as I never knew about these tokens before. I can't imagine how it got to be in my grandfather's possession as he was a farmer in the East of England and never travelled more than 50 miles from home!It was heavily oxidised when he gave it to me (along with a few old pennies and a fruit picking token).I assumed that he found all these in the ground when working the land. Anyone like to give a view on whether it's authentic or not?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2164 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Authentic Ramatankas come in silver (mainly) and gold. Yours is from any time in the last 40-50 years, but you can buy an identical token today in India for about 1.00
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2164 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For this type of token the following description is generally true:
Obverse Rama and Lakshmana.
Around which usually in mashed up Devanagari script, Ram, Lakshman, Janaki (Sita), Wa (and) Hanuman.
There is a scrambled date at the bottom
Reverse, Rama and Sita seated
Rama's brothers Lakshman (Left), Bharat and Shatrughan (Right)
Hanuman bowing in front with folded hands
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
2330 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed one of the maby Ram Darbar temple token.
Here you can find your version:
http://indiannumismatics.com/products.php?id=152
left and right of the square is a fictive date
No value, they are not silver, not rare
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05