Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1970 S Small Date LMC with floating roof

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  5:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add QuarterHoarder72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's cool. Not sure what exactly it is but keep it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not too convinced it truly is a floating roof until seeing an image as sharp and as clear as that of date and MM. that area can easily disappear in a particular light and angle.
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
slightly visible

Pillar of the Community
United States
953 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still see some outlines of a roof, here's a pic of a floating roof cent by PCGS

ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I still see outlines on the PCGS picture as well
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2212 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice small date find. Even if the roof is not 100% floating.
Pillar of the Community
United States
932 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Check tropicalbats's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tropicalbats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Images of the floating roof coins can be highly deceiving. Some pretty strong struts can be invisible in the right lighting and some with absolutely no struts will look like they are there because of the polishing marks left when they were removed.

Super find, congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1775 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  8:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Halo1st to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say no worry about the reverse. A floating roof is usually considered the consolation prize this year as well as 1969's. I'd think the prize here is on the obverse. Overall seems to be in good condition. Thanks, Doug.

Adding: May qualify for the Top Ten of the year in the Small Dates category.
Second opinions are always recommended. Rookies thoughts!
Backup data often or good luck with the recovery process..... SME advice!
Edited by Halo1st
12/08/2018 8:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rlewis87 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, the coin itself is in nice condition. Pry not worth the grading but makes me wonder
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
33272 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out the one on this link:
https://www.PCGS.com/cert/29161592
Missed it! Click on the image link. (large date)
On the red examples all have the same weaknesses. The weak LIBERTY & the floating roof.

They sure missed it on the first Brown example they graded.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
12/08/2018 11:07 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05