Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Neat 1859 N9 With Die Cracks Obverse & Reverse.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7693 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  11:38 pm Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won a job lot of Victoria large cents for $2. 1859, 1882-H, 1893, 1899, 1900 No H. Not the prettiest ladies...

The 1899 & 1900 had some sort of damage, so they go into the culls, and the 1882 is not the greatest either. However, the 1893 and 1859 looked OK, and for two bucks, worth a shot. The 1893 cleaned up ok with some acetone soaking...

...I was pleasantly surprised to find the 1859 was actually pretty decent, and more so to find a wicked die crack bisecting the C in CANADA and running up to the neckline!

(with flash on)

Flipping it over, it looked like a typical Narrow/Low 9, no repunching, but I checked it with the loupe anyway and found this little almost-hidden gem of a crack at the outermost leaf opposite the C in CENT:

(with flash)

It's not exactly worth doing cartwheels over, but it's always nice to find an unexpected surprise with the odds and sods!
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  01:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinBuffalo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pickup I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or just a sort of confirmation bias, but it looks like a PC59-233, which was what I'm fairly certain the one I got the other day is, but haven't decided 100%. Yours is in better shape though, and in a later die state by the looks of it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1414 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think PC59-235 with a die crack to rim of leaf 13
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  06:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Don. PC59-235. There looks like a die crack at leaf 8 also which is what you would expect on a 235 in that die state.

Can you post an obverse picture of your 1882? There are some nice varieties for that year.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7693 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  1:28 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome information as usual.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7693 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the 1882-H from the lot (top coin) and an 1882-H I already had in my Coinmaster (bottom coin)

The first 1882 (from the lot above) is smooth but has a rim bruise on the reverse:

The 1882 I already had in my book is sharper, but someone cleaned it before I owned it:

I took these shots at 24MP so I can zoom in on any areas you might be curious about from the original pictures.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7693 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't notice until you all pointed out on my coin: not only is there a die crack through the G in GRATIA that extends down to the top of the head, the G appears to have been recut on the crossbar along with the right foot of the A in VICTORIA.

According to what I can find on Haxby's site that makes this coin a stage 7 (Obverse 23 / Rev E25D) -- learning as I go here!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2580 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PC59-235

What on-line resource did this number come from?

And if this place does not have valuation data, please indicate where this type of data might be found.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1414 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2018  01:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fourmack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this site- the best around https://www.vickycents.com/index.html
Cheers Don

Vickies cents and GB Farthings nut.
"Old" is a figure of speech and nothing more
Edited by fourmack
12/10/2018 01:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2192 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2018  05:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dr Haxby's vickycent site does not have any pricing data. It is a very comprehensive die-tracking reference for the 200+ 1859 varieties that have been found thus far. It also includes information on the die state of each of the die pairings(marriages) as die cracks grew and new ones started. Most of the entries on the site concern common "vanilla-type" coins, with no discernable "vaiety" ... it tracks ALL the information on the coin that makes it different from the others.

If you want pricing data, you can find retail prices for more evident, recognized collectible varieties in the annual Charlton guide, or the Canadian Coin News, published every month. If you want what they actual would sell for (recognized varieties sold on Ebay or auctions) then try http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins...s-prices.php and/or http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php which is more retail oriented, but with a few more common varieties noted.
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2018  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
mdpmedia, if you are familiar with Sheldon or Cohen numbers for early U.S. large cents and Half Cents, I think you will really enjoy checking out the website Dr. Haxby and Ed Reny started. Fourmack has posted the link above. The website is a Canadian equivilant for the 1859 N9 provincial large cents. Rob Turner has also written books covering the 1858 and 1859 W9 dies. Here's the link to Rob Turner's website where you can order his books.

www.victoriancent.com/index.html

Currently there are 248 different die pairs known of the 1859 N9's. I believe Rob has identified 22 die pairs of the 1859 W9's and I'm not sure how many of the 1858's (close to 60 I think).

The published information on all the known provincial cent die pairs has only been around for about a decade, so it's a great time to get into collecting these while they are still available and affordable, and I am sure there are still unknown dies to be discovered.

As okiecoiner said, there is no pricing data on the website, as it is still way too early to establish any pricing for all the die pairs. Establishing the relative rarity of the different die pairs is the first step and that may be coming along pretty soon for the 1859 N9's. Rob already has that in his books for the 1858's and 1859 W9's.
Edited by Phil310
12/10/2018 11:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
610 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
paralyse, both of your 1882's have the obverse type 2. Neither are a special variety that I can see. Most of the interesting varieties from 1882 are on the obverse 1 and 1a coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
663 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just some added info for the 1859 shown in the original post.
Hans Zoell also cover this obverse and referred to it in his 1964-1965 Third Edition Part One as follows.
" R2r Obv. re-ent. G's, re-cut last A "
There is a picture also which shows the D/C at the G in GRATIA confirming it to be the same.

Cheers, Bill
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05