Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1858 O Seated Half Mistake?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  12:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You all have seen this coin before. just wondering how bad I messed up.
I paid 260.00 for it 10-15 years ago bought it as ms 60 sent it to PCGS a few mounts ago. keeping it as a lesson learned

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just learned this today and it is very helpful for just this question. I just mentioned this in another post about my 1843 Seated dollar AU Details.

Click this link for NGC Auction Central 1858 O half dollar.

In the Search area, choose a grade range from 50 to 50. Click Search to get the results. Click the sort button on Grade twice to get descending grade. There is a list of like coins to peruse.

Sweet eh?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4529 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  1:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where have we seen this coin before? Was it posted on another thread? If so, post the link here. Did you get opinions here first, before you submitted it?
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

Edited by USSID18
12/12/2018 7:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
837 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess to answer your question. Yes, this was a learning opportunity.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you learned a very valuable lesson! Don't buy raw coins over $100.

With that said, crack it out and send it back to PCGS and you're likely to get a completely different grade these days.

It's just the ridiculous state of the tpgs right now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse fields look wiped. Maybe that's it.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks MikeF I did learn my lesson. almost every thing I buy now is in a slab. sent that coin in in Sept. sure things haven't change that much.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12773 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
sent that coin in in Sept. sure things haven't change that much.

They haven't, PCGS is still conservatively grading
Fire A.J. Preller
Pillar of the Community
United States
3404 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Crack it out and see if/how it retones over a year or more. That may allow a straight grade unless there are obvious hairlines. Either way, value raw and value in its current holder probably about the same.
Edited by jimbucks
12/12/2018 3:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7137 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of us have been there.....lesson learned.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
not going to do anything to try to change the coin. its setting on display with the rest of my coins. I still love her.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42763 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good attitude.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Been there; done that.
Another of life's lessons, hopefully learned.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8303 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a pretty decent coin for "cleaned" -- I wouldn't be ashamed of it.
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC
Specializing in 1932-1964 Washington quarters

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
Pillar of the Community
United States
554 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Heymikep to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you get this coin slabbed as an MS60 and you broke it out hoping to get a better grade? Or was it raw?
To me this coin looks like it could be an MS Details coin and not an AU Details coin from the pics. I do not see any wear on this coin. Am I missing something? Maybe my eyes are deceiving me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1197 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2018  11:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was raw
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05