Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Cancelled Dies

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,589Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  8:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Since NGC now certifies and encapsulated cancelled dies, lets see a few of your holdings. The categories are: 1. Cancelled - Defaced; 2. Cancelled - Torched; 3. Cancelled - X; 4. Cancelled; and 5. Uncancelled.

Refer to https://coinweek.com/dealers-compan...celled-dies/

All three are part of my Hawaiiana collection (Royal Hawaiian Mint dies, so called 50 cents dies, and Hawaii Statehood Quarter die (has US Mint certificate)).

Edited by DrDarryl
12/12/2018 8:53 pm
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WFcHprYJ3z8
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  9:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jk69 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need help uploading pics can someone help me please. I'm a little dyslexic and the tutorials confuse me
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really? Is there really a point? I have the P and D mint defaced California statehood coin and die sets (which rarely come up for sale) but don't see any reason to have NGC certify them. Am I missing something?
Learn More...
United States
19160 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
can someone help me please.

Sure, glad to help. I think that the biggest issue is getting the size of the file small enough (under 300 KB). CCF has an optimizer or you can use your own photo editing software.

@DD, sorry for the slight hijacking of your thread.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21266 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2018  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Defaced Lincoln Cent with a little left....

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11526 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2018  01:39 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Getting one has been in the back of my mind for a while, but, of course, it's slim pickens and never could commit. The easiest to get are those sold by the Mint which are completely defaced, but I would like something on which the original design can be identified. With my budget, I'll probably be waiting a while.
In Memory of Crazyb0 12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious 3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

Oh that I was where I would be,
Then I would be where I am not,
Here I am where I must be,
Go where I would, I can not.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11526 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2018  12:40 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, so this topic pushed me over the edge into making a purchase (it happens sometimes ). I was originally looking for one of the Texas State Quarter coin & die sets, but never saw one available. Since my primary collection is Jefferson nickels, I went ahead and got a 2004-D Peace nickel coin & die set. I made an offer and they accepted, so I will soon be taking a look at a coin die for the first time in person.

I will be sure to post pics here and to my Jeff album topic after receiving it.

Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2018  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This a whole new aspect of coin collecting that I never expected. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
22024 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2018  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never would have thought about collecting these.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11526 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2018  01:14 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received the aforementioned set today. While it is completely defaced (as expected), it is an interesting step to take in my numismatic journey to own a die used by the U.S. Mint.

I wish I knew if this was an obverse or reverse die. Can it be determined by the shape? I don't know too much in that area.

Anyway, it is said to have struck 67,125 coins, so I had to extrapolate and determined that if die life was consistent, it required over 5,500 of these (only half of the die pair, mind you) to complete the stated 2004 Denver Peace nickel mintage!

I hope to add less defaced examples eventually.

Learn More...
United States
99238 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I received the aforementioned set today. While it is completely defaced (as expected), it is an interesting step to take in my numismatic journey to own a die used by the U.S. Mint.
Fantastic!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17329 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wish I knew if this was an obverse or reverse die.

All I can tell you is that it was the anvil die. I don't know which side was used for the anvil that year.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
351 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DrDarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC encapsulated so called 50c Hawaii dies in my collection.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8518 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  08:37 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2849 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2019  09:34 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my 1993-D obverse cancelled cent die and an image showing what wasn't defaced.

"Shine, shine a Roosevelt dime. All the way to Baltimore and runnin' out of time." Tom Waits-Clap Hands

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 3,589Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05