Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1907 Series $5 Woodchopper

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
60 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  5:49 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add krhudson1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add krhudson1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I only have a couple bills in my collection; this is one. Seems like a Very Fine example.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2137 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool. Looks like a "wallet piece" . Folded in half, and folded again. Stashed in a wallet as emergency cash. Having a $5 tucked away back then is equivalent to squirreling away a $100 today. The view of the back, with one panel being a shade darker than the other two, likely came from the leather wallet. Everyone likes Woodchoppers.

Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add krhudson1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I love the look and feel of this bill. It's like Norman Rockwell's grandfather designed it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9807 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  9:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! There's also a horizontal crease.

This must have been a very difficult note to counterfeit back in the day.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add krhudson1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The horizontal crease must have happened during a trip to the gentleman's club. ;-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4448 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now now, this is a family friendly forum here
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9807 Posts
 Posted 12/19/2018  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One wonders what one of those might have been like in the day. I have a mental image of "Can-Can" for some reason.

Any guesses as to what this would grade as?
Learn More...
United States
73511 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
38023 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2018  10:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guessing VF-20 or so given the reverse.

Tell us how you came to own it!

to the Paper Money Forum!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17001 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2018  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great looking note!
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2018  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add krhudson1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tell us how you came to own it!

I bought this bill from a coin dealer I frequented many years ago. Since I was just a poor paperboy at the time, I probably paid 10-20 bucks for it. That was my "splurge" range.
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2018  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I happen to have a vignette proof of the woodchopper. This is actually titled "The Pioneer".

Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2018  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add krhudson1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that proof. Don't know much about them, though. How many were made, and how much does an example cost these days?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2018  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice note.

And very nice vignette Greg!
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2018  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like that proof. Don't know much about them, though. How many were made, and how much does an example cost these days?

Hard to say how many were printed. In the late 1800s, these vignettes were available for sale to libraries, politicians and art organizations. The BEP also bound them into specimen books as gifts for dignitaries. Individual BEP portraits and vignettes tend to sell for $15 to $30 now, but those found on currency bring more, sometimes up to $100. I've seen the woodchopper sell for $60 recently. These pop up in Heritage Auctions fairly regularly.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05