Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Desert Patinas

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3990 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  11:15 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A nice uncleaned lot came in today. A small lot, only 20, but some great coins in there and 11 different emperors identifiable immediately. Some only needed a little bit of work.

A desert patina is highly desirable and frames the details of a coin well so retaining it is a good idea. A lot of cleaning methods negatively affect a sand patina or will remove the whole lot indiscriminately, so cleaning has to be manual. I thought I'd do a quick write up on how I clean desert coins, as the process is somewhat different to working on normal uncleaned coins where the aim is to remove all encrustations.

I took a wooden toothpick and dipped the very tip into a pot of distilled water. Working very carefully in small circles, I slowly worked down the desert patina over the covered letters. The toothpick blunts easily; I took a knife and occasionally renewed the sharp tip. As the dirt is worked away, the coin dries and so the tip is regularly remoistened, taking care not to flood the coin unnecessarily - I only want to wet the area I'm working on.

Encrustations on the bust are harder to remove satisfactorily. It can be easy to damage the surface or remove patina by mistake while cleaning, so I usually recommend not touching it all. However, for the Theodosius pictured below I decided to do a little work on the bust. Here, the work is much more delicate and deliberate, so I didn't use water (the muddy residue can hide what you are doing) and kept the toothpick constantly sharp. Here, I wanted the sand patina to remain in the details, but be removed from the high points. I no longer work in tight circles, but instead pull the pick against the direction of the raised lines of the detail, for example, by working perpendicular to the hair. This leaves the sand patina between the hairs intact. For this work, it is easily to be overzealous but the patina can not be put back. My endpoint goal is for the coin to still appear 'uncleaned'.

I worked away around the hair to reveal the full head, removed sand that covered the end of the eyebrow to properly frame the face, and exposed the tip of the nose to define the full portrait. I also carefully exposed the full width of the diadem ties.

Here are pictures to show this work on the Theodosius. The first picture is as it was received, then with the [DO] revealed, then after the bust work, then finally after I remembered that there is a second [S] in THEODOSIVS.

(last pictures in monochrome as I could get a better closeup that way).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1307 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  11:48 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's nuts! You're the most patient person I've heard of.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952

ANA id: 3194067

If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1079 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice job Ben ! Looks really good!

I don't know about you but I find this type of work quite therapeutic and relaxing..especially when you get that kind of end result..Nicely done!

I always think with sand patinas its what you leave not what you take off and knowing when to stop..

Hows the reverse?...Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9667 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done Ben! it is nice that the details are no longer washed out.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Edited by Spence
12/27/2018 2:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3957 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  3:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done, I have a few uncleaned that I am going to try the toothpick method.
Valued Member
Netherlands
57 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetzKaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will make sure to try this when I receive my first lot of Roman coins from the desert. Fantastic work!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05