Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help In Identification, Trachy Coin!!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Greece
3 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  12:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add tsoun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I live in Greece and found this coin in Athens. It is 23.55mm x 25mm and it is curved (a Trachy coin 11th-14th century AD), could anyone identify it?

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
428 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  12:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cant help you, but I'm sure someone here can
Learn More...
United States
21952 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Not a lot of detail to go on, so my best guess would be from the time of the Latin rulers of Constantinople (1204-1261) and Thessalonica (1204- 1224)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9667 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  2:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@tsoun, first welcome to CCF. Second, I'd like to echo what @echizento just said. My initial thought was Manuel I, but in looking at my copy of Byzantine Coins & Their Values, in order to pick the specific ruler, I think that we would need to be able to read part of the legend. As these coins are cupped, they are very hard to photograph (although honestly your pics are pretty good). I wonder if you might be able to see any remnant letters a little to the left of the cruciform scepter or above the ruler's head? From your pics, this area looks slick, but perhaps with the coin in hand you might be able to make out a partial inscription?
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Greece
3 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tsoun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@keith12 and @echizento thank you for the welcoming.
@Spence I try to take a better picture of it but its size doesn't help me a lot. I can barely notice something to the right of the figure's head similar to a small cross (smaller than the sceptrum's one) or a Δ (which could lead me to ΔΕCΠΟΤΗC like many SB1966- or SB2056, although I cannot see any other letters)[picture 1]. Moreover, at the right of the figure is a thick line with a triangle-like top[picture 2]. What could it be? Could it be a second figure,-ine like many SB1966+?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9667 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok yes perhaps a delta, but it looks more like a star to me. I think that in general, the ruler's name was at the start of the inscription and that is why I had you focus on the left side of the coin. There may simply not be enough remaining detail to get a perfect attribution.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Learn More...
United States
21952 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the reverse from a coin of Manuel I, the typical legend would loo like this:

Coin struck during the Latin rule period were either imitations of earlier coins or earlier coins that were clipped. Your coin IMO shows the style and shape of a coin from that period.

Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2018  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matt2727 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with echizento, clipped edges on these are a dead giveaway of the Latin rulers of Constantinople/Thessalonica. Unfortunately its impossible to attribute these to a specific ruler, but you can try to match it to a specific Sear number using this:

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/byz/...ulers/t.html

ANA Member #3190016
Learn More...
United States
64960 Posts
Greece
3 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  04:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tsoun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much everyone. I'm really happy for you welcomed me in the community and helped me. As for the coin, I would say it maybe is a SB2023. Have a happy new year, be healthy and continue collecting!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05