Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1894 Morgan P Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  2:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dronepilot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I took this coin to a coin dealer and stated to me this coin was a fake. How can you tell this is a fake? Is the coin a fake?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1856 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My 1st instinct says "yes" it is a fake due to color. But, my eyes are old & need larger, properly oriented photos. Weight is one way to tell. A real one would weigh very close to 26.73 grams. Then there are the magnet tests.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1194 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
need much better photos. but the mint only made 972 of those I'm sure that's not one. but I have put my foot in my mouth before
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dronepilot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I weighted the coin and it is 26.6 grams. Close compared to other morgan coins. Should have posted in my first post.

So my next question id how do I take a pictures that can bring the details out for the many question I have about the coins that I have?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1194 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry I was wrong on the mintage it was 110,000
Edited by keith12
12/28/2018 3:05 pm
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dronepilot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do I get a better picture. I have a DSLR cannon 70D.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  3:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was only one set of dies used for the business strike on the 1894. The date position on your coin is wrong. The dealer is correct it is a counterfeit. On OP coin from the neck point the 1 sits square over the forth denticle. On Genuine example the 1 sits between the 3rd and 4th dentile. There are other die markers on the 94, but not necessary because the date position is incorrect on OP coin.

OP Coin

Genuine Coin
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dronepilot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I can see that the coin is fake. So what did they do. Take a different date Morgan and change the date? or did they just stamped a fake coin?

Just trying to learn and thank you very much.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2018  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The OP coin looks like a Chinese counterfeit. Some 94 counterfeits have the date position correct and the die markings have to be used to determin if it is a fake. It is also common for the 94 to have a mint mark removed from a genuine 94S or 94O when the mint mark is removed there is often tool marks left behind. On key date Morgans it is best to buy in a TPG holder unless you know what to look for in counterfeits.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05