Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 Canadian Cent Error

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
212 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  12:57 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cdn44fan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thing I see 3 things about this coin

First the crescent groove
Second the strike in the groove
Third which I can't explain how the leaf and cent got doubled in the groove?

Can anyone explain how this happened

One more thing can anyone care to give me a value on it?
Edited by cdn44fan
01/02/2019 3:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
904 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have what looks like a coin that was struck though a pie e of loose metal or something hard. Basically something got stuck between the die and coin before it was struck, afterwards the loose piece came off, but left a gash and some of the design elements on the coin.

Here is another example.

Edited by purelywasted
01/02/2019 1:55 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8407 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice error.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
377 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dennman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonder why there is no date on this coin?
Valued Member
Canada
212 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdn44fan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Purelywasted if the piece of metal fell off after the last strike, shouldn't there be no design from it in the groove?

And to Dennman it's a year 1992.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
904 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on the thickness and type of metal/material that it was struck through. If the metal was relatively thin/soft, the design elements from the die will carry through the coin. If the metal was very thick/hard, you would likely not see much of the design elements

Imagine you are on the beach, and you have a smooth patch of sand, now put down a piece of paper and a Toronto phone book side by side. Punch the piece of paper with your fist, then punch the phone book. Remove both and look at the impressions.

Where the paper was, you should see your fist imprint (a little distorted) and where the phone book was, you should see a mostly rectangular imprint, maybe a slight impression where your fist hit.

It is all about how thick and hard the relative piece of each metal is, the die is very hard, the piece of metal that fell off was relatively thin and softer and the copper penny was the softest.

For the reverse example, try same thing on textured concrete, with paper you will likely dimple/tear it and have bloody/sore knuckles, with the phone book you will have an impression of the concrete on the phone book and a sore hand.

Nice example of a strike through.
Edited by purelywasted
01/02/2019 4:15 pm
Valued Member
Canada
212 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cdn44fan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank's a lot for detailed description
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1182 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2019  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a 2002 I beleive
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05