Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

King Henry One Penny Annulet Advice Needed!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  2:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EssexVintage to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I have been able to research (to the best of my ability) that the coin is dated 1422-1430 King Henry - I believe it to be one penny. I would like to show it here in a bid to learn more about it and identify it more accurately...

Any info would be very much appreciated :)

*** Moved by Staff moved to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
68289 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Learn More...
United States
22149 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

I have just recently started to collect these so I'm still learning about all the different types. I believe this is Henry VI silver penny stuck at the London mint.

There are others here that know much more than I do, I sure they will add more information.
Valued Member
Netherlands
82 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AnYangMan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed a Henry VI London (CIVITAS LONDON on the reverse) penny! The annulets on the reverse and pierced cross mintmark (just above the king's bust) tell us that this is a so-called Annulet issue. This issue is dated, as you already mentioned in your post, to 1422 - 1430 (used to be 1427, but recent evidence pushed back this date slightly). A nice specimen, even with the tiny piece of the flan missing. What else would you like to know?

I just so happen to have a half penny from the same issue, but this one was issued at the Calais mint rather than London. Notice the annulets besides the king's head as well? That is typical for Annnulet-issue coins from the Calais mint; London does not have these.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1147 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Henry VI annulet issue penny.

Henry VI AR Penny
(17mm, 0.84g). Calais mint;
im: initial cross V. Struck circa 1422-1430.
Obv:+ henRICVS ReX crowned facing bust; annulets to left and right of neck,
Rev:(saltire stops), long cross pattée; quarters triple pellets; triple pellets around central annulet in first and third
SCBC 1844.F+ toned.
Ex: Geoffery Bell Auctions August 12. 2018

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10338 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@EV, first welcome to CCF. Second, very nice coin you have there. I would attribute it as Spink #1844.
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
United Kingdom
6 Posts
 Posted 01/07/2019  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EssexVintage to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey guys

Thanks for the replies...very interesting indeed!!

@AnYangMan
I'm quite impressed with my findings (I'm a complete novice in the world of coins ) it would seem I was pretty accurate in identifying this piece, based on what you have confirmed for me...many thanks!

@Spence
Thanks for your advice. However, my knowledge is virtually zero when it comes to coin collecting...I wonder if you could kindly elaborate on the following comment you made

[quote] Second, very nice coin you have there. I would attribute it as Spink #1844.[quote]

I have no idea what Spink #1844 means - is it to do with value? Is there much value to my coin?

Thanks again
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1331 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  12:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spink 1844 is the reference given in "Coins of England & the UK" published by Spink.
Spink is the acknowledged main reference book for UK coins.
They value it as Fine £30 Very fine £110.
The bite mark out of your coin distracts an otherwise reasonable flan.
Your coin would probably retail at approx £20 and no value to a dealer but you could shift it on ebay.
A nice keep sake and fantastic history,I would hold on to it.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10338 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@EV, as described by @peter1234, Spink #1844 is the attribution. You had asked about identifying this coin and with that description, other coin collectors will know which coin you have. If this were my coin, I would put it in a 2x2 and write all of the info that I have about it (including the attribution).
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  7:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@essex, that's quite a handsome coin, notwithstanding the missing chunk to the edge.
Strong portrait is what I like, and your coin has it!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05