Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are These Barbarian Imitation Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  12:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add xoduspbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The lettering and the eyes hint at imitation coins, but I am not 100% sure. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Learn More...
United States
22288 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  01:42 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They both look official issues to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9502 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  03:17 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's any comfort coming from someone who knows next to nothing of these: I don't see anything that screams fake.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1301 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With both...

First coin could be Constantine II or Constantius II..

Second coin looks something like this..
Claudius II, AE Antoninianus, Cyzicus. DIVO CLAVDIO, radiate head right with one dot under head / CONSACRATIO, Flaming altar with horned roof. 4 panels on altar, dot in each panel. LaVenera Vol I 10924; Goebl 288a1....

Maybe you can flick through wildwinds and fine tune the mint?
Edited by Palouche
01/08/2019 05:07 am
Valued Member
New Zealand
261 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  05:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doctorwho2485 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Everyone it's been a while. Anyway I think the first coin is Constans. 'Constans.P.F.AVG. The little Brother of Constantine II,Constantius II. He was little mean despot. Ivar From Vikings comes to mind thinking about Constans.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15273 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I very much feel that they are not fake, but I do think that they may both be barbarous.
Pillar of the Community
Belgium
1152 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add antwerpen2306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First coin : Constans pre-reform : Constans P F Aug / Victoriae DD (dominorum) Augg ( augustorum) Q (que = and) Nn ( nostrorum ) : two Victories : legal coin
Second : I think barbarous : Claudius II Gothicus had this type of coin in barbarous , this is a well struck one . albert
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xoduspbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome, thank you guys so much! I think I will agree that the first one is legal and the second one is likely barbarous. The big tell I think is the bulky letters, especially the R in CONSECRATIO (on the reverse). I'd love to hear more input though!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's always a tough call on Claudius II consecration issues. Reason being, the type was produced during the reigns of Quintillus and Aurelian, when we know that the mint at Rome was run by Felicissimus. Aurelian had him put to death for adulterating the coinage (even these are supposed to be 2% silver; he was reducing them to 1% or less, reducing the flan size, and stealing the silver for himself). Around the time of his death, the mint workers revolted, and finally stole a bunch of dies and fled the city, where they continued operations elsewhere. Unlike the Tetricus-style barbs, it probably isn't even possible to tell the difference between a coin made before and after the revolt.

Come to think of it, I only have one such issue that I am reasonably certain is an official "kosher" emission!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xoduspbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome Finn, I had no idea the history of that!! When you say 2% silver, is that what happens when they do the silver-sud on the outside?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5527 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In theory, the alloy was 98% copper and 2% silver, and the prepared planchets would have been soaked in an acid until the copper was eaten away and the final product looked silver. This worked well for coins produced under Gallienus, but silvered coins of Claudius II and Quintillus are quite rare. I'm not aware of any comprehensive studies that ran XRF on these coins, but I would not be surprised if many "official" issues of the time had no silver at all.
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Valued Member
United States
485 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First one is Constans, I was fairly sure that the second was a Claudius II barbarous until Finn schooled me - Again.

Here is a Constans I just picked up a couple of days ago.

As you can see the eyes are quite similar

Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xoduspbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, those eyes are very similar! Okay, they just looked so cartoony to me that I thought maybe it was just a bad attempt at a forgery from the "barbarians" haha. Thanks so much!
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2019  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the first coin is genuine and the second likely "barbarous". At the following link, the database for the upcoming RIC Vol. V revision, you can compare the op coin with examples of the known official Divo Claudio issues with quadripartite altar. http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/search/adv...1&mod=result

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05