Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nero Coin From Ebay. Is It Legit?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
629 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Palouche I agree, not. Compare the portion of the thunderbolt between the feet of each eagle.
20 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  08:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hvedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Paul and Kushanshah. Just a question when they say for fakes to be identical in terms of die, do they mean obverse and reverse or just one side? also do you guys agree that his second coin has same obverse to the one I got?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
1301 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP coin on the right...

To my untrained eye the obverse looks a match and the reverse definetly not..

I'm not experienced enough to give a definite answer, but IMO they both look real
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4129 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An obverse die match isn't the worst thing in the world for authenticity - it can often be a good indicator of authenticity (though I wouldn't count it for this series). Die were used more than once and if a coin comes from a hoard, it can be the case that it was found with others from the same die. Here is an obverse die match for my Corinthian stater with a completely different reverse die:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
8159 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ hvedo

To the Forum.
20 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  07:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hvedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Ben. How can we explain the 96.4 silver? It should have been 60 to 80 percent. But at least we can be sure its not sterling silver at 92.5 right?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15273 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If authentic, it would seem to my eye that the Nero tetradrachms were of different dies, but were the product of the same die cutter.
The styles are very similar, but the minutae of the details is different.
20 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hvedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys I also found another die match. I think this one has both obverse and reverse matching . It was from CNG

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3344643

any thoughts?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1889 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
OP coin on the right...

To my untrained eye the obverse looks a match and the reverse definetly not..

I do not see a match obverse either:
On the left coin, looking at the lower row of leaves (above and slightly behind ear) the first two leaves at left are aligned; they are mis-aligned on right coin
On the left coin, the loop in ribbon behind head is round. On the right coin this loop is a bit squared

SLight differences, but I think real ones
Edited by tdziemia
01/11/2019 09:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1889 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Guys I also found another die match. I think this one has both obverse and reverse matching . It was from CNG

Obverse possibly yes.
Reverse definitely no. The horizontal wavy line just below the eagle's wings is completely different, as is the plant.
Edited by tdziemia
01/11/2019 09:33 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4129 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The branch by the eagle is usually the tell tale sign of a die match.

Could again be that the surface has been leached...cleaning in acid is pretty regularly used for silvers, especially when there are a lot of deposits on the coin, so maybe this had a particularly heavy handed acid wash to remove the horn silver. The gold content is high for a modern piece, as far as I know.
20 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hvedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for feedbacks. so Ben based on XRF can I be confident that this is real one?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1889 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The branch by the eagle is usually the tell tale sign of a die match.

Different numbers of leaves on both sides between OP coin and CNG example (unless I am missing some due to wear on the OP coin).

I don't know squat about ancients, but my eyes are still pretty good
Edited by tdziemia
01/11/2019 09:41 am
20 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hvedo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
also what do you guys think about what looks like a horn silver? is it natural or chemical? One local dealer said its created by putting salt and heating coin artificially but not sure how much I can rely on his theory. anyone has any opinion on detection of true horn silver?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05