Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Am New To Half Dollar Roll Hunting.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  8:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Guys-

I am basically an ancient coin collector. Collected US as a kid. I stack silver.

Years ago, I often pestered my local bank for half dollars looking for silver. About three years ago I was inside for business and asked and was told that someone had not picked up a box of $500 and did I want them. I did not know you could order boxes! I found several 40% and a scratched proof commemorative. Not worth the effort.

Via YouTube I recently discovered Variety Vista and the new hobby of varieties and errors. I picked up my first box of halves today. No silver. I did find one 2010P in low MS and a dinged up 2003 proof. I first divided them into generations. About 1/3 were from the 1970s. Then went back through and pulled out the culls. About 10% were obvious culls mostly from the late 1980s to early 2000s- looked like they had been run through slot machines.

I have not yet gone back through looking for varieties but did find this- I think it is a lamination error- while culling. Pic attached. Is this the new normal for these boxes? I did order another box. Will take about two weeks.

Later-

Edited by pendrak
01/09/2019 8:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5760 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure, but the picture makes it look like this is a glue spot on the half. A soak in acetone (which cannot hurt the metal of the coin) would remove it if it is.

Also, since you like varieties, let me offer you the "cheat sheet" I used when roll searching halves. It took awhile and several references online and in print to compile this list.

Keep us posted what you find!
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2019  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pendrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. No glue. Indention not bubble. But tomorrow let's see what else I can find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3631 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Throw it on EBay, see what happens.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05