Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"CNAG" - Ever Hear Of Them?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
394 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  12:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I came across an ebay auction for Chinese gold bullion coins (the panda series). The coins are graded by CNAG - but I've never heard of this TPG. The script on the label is in Chinese, except for the serial number. Anyway, it's bullion so I'm sure its OK, but I've never even heard of CNAG. Anyone else?
Edited by jeffbuckes
01/10/2019 12:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9816 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  02:03 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are mentioned in this article from a few years back:

https://www.chinesecoins.com/beijin...n-expo-2014/

China National Gold Appraisal, Ltd. Given the state of "counterfeit" production in China, I don't think I could place any faith in a group such as this. Being "bullion" doesn't matter at all. Anything valuable is faked. They mass-produce fake ancient Chinese coins and artifacts for [bleep]'s sake!
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
01/10/2019 02:10 am
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  03:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed that China is a vast wasteland of counterfeits - that's why I questioned the TPG.

But the seller has 100% feedback on 6000+ sales, and the coins look right in every way.

I was hoping that CNAG could be the exception to "the China rule".

Anybody else out there have any experience with CNAG...?

Again, these are bulion coins so I can shop around but am very curious now.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1351 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add peter1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Psst...I've got a Terracotta Army for sale if you are interested.
When it comes to Chinese I stick to the food.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3443 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah. It seems the bad apples outnumber the good ones.
I'd be wary as well. It's a shame that China has earned that reputation.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15495 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apparently they were/are legitimate, but I think they seem to be more like a basement slabbing service that only holders their own coins for sale. (And in trying to trace them I've located two more Chinese companies that I suspect are doing the same thing.)
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To all - thanks for the input. Looks like CNAG slabs are hitting the market so we should try to learn more about them - good or bad.

@peter1234 -

Believe it or not, I am in the market for a terracotta army - I want something to decorate my Brooklyn Bridge...

Seriously, I agree that China is the world's leading counterfeiter by far... But I was curious about whether the TPG (CNAG) is reliable... There are plenty of people in China who collect coins, so maybe it's a real outfit, maybe not. Anyway, I took a chance on the coins, they're bullion so the grade doesn't matter to me, and if they're not gold I can get a refund from the seller. I'll report back in a couple weeks when I get everything authenticated locally.
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffbuckes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW: also not sure why the title of this thread says "Cnag" not "CNAG". Can a mod fix that for the sake of accuracy..?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12138 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2019  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are plenty of people in China who collect coins, so maybe it's a real outfit

Absolutely which is why PCGS and NGC both have offices in mainland China.

This outfit seems to have opened up after them using a 100 point scale and at least to some extent try to play on people patriotism to use them instead. They may be fine for in China I have no idea, but outside of there or in the US market their slabs will actually very likely be a negative
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9816 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  02:01 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only have suspicions, no facts. I know how the company was introduced in the article I linked to:

Quote:
China's own national coin grading service, CNAG (China National Gold Appraisal Ltd.)

So, it seems to be the state-run grading service. That could be positive or negative. I guess this is an expirement regarding that question. I'm looking forward to the followup.

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Edited by spruett001
01/11/2019 02:02 am
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2019  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
BTW: also not sure why the title of this thread says "Cnag" not "CNAG". Can a mod fix that for the sake of accuracy..?
It is automatic title formatting. I will see if CNAG can be added to the list of initialisms.
Learn More...
United States
73436 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05