Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1886-S Morgan Dollar Raw Grade Me Please

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FAKE IT IS!
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"looks like a modern copy"

Do you mean mine, or the OP's? I've had mine since the 1960's.
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What (or who) told you it was fake after all?
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
01/12/2019 05:38 am
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  07:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Paul I'm assuming you were telling me yours is a known fake.....If not, I still hold out hope.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9094 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  09:49 am  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse has good detail. The reverse is much less convincing. I am 95% sure you have a struck copy, possibly in 90% silver but a likely counterfeit nonetheless.

Here's a close-up comparison of the tail feathers.

ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am inclined to agree with you. That is a fake.
Edited by DoctorBurnzy
01/12/2019 10:42 am
Learn More...
United States
19794 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  11:21 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it possible for you to take and post an image of the coin straight down and with better lighting?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6484 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  1:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"looks like a modern copy"

Do you mean mine, or the OP's? I've had mine since the 1960's.

Referring to the OP's coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8668 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with nss-52, I would like some better pictures (straight down on the coin) with some better lighting.
Collector of all classic US coinage.

How to identify cleaned coins: http://goccf.com/t/319679
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DoctorBurnzy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With the red flag signs and the actual left side of the eagle's wing die error...I 'd say say we both have fakes and no further testing needed and there's other signs
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted mine as an assumed non-fake for comparison purposes. If someone can point out why I'm wrong, I'd like to know.

The weight is between 26 and 27 gm (my postal scale shows both numbers at different times), and the diameter is just below 1.5" (37.5mm).

The tail feathers look much better in person than in my photo. I went back to the original file in the camera, and the detail was muddy-looking there, too.

I just now shot at an angle, and it looks close to what I'm actually seeing in person.

DoctorBurnzy, I think it would help if you posted a similar shot for instructional purposes, using the "macro" setting on your camera.

Edited by Pauldog
01/12/2019 8:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  9:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pauldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a closer shot of the wing on mine. What's the die error you just mentioned?

Edited by Pauldog
01/12/2019 9:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
794 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2019  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Check Jadey's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jadey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DoctorBurnzy
Have you reviewed your third post in this thread from 10:52 PM last night? I'm seeing a different coin.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05